Page 14 of 31 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624 ... LastLast

Thread: Generic IndyCar Discussion Thread

They're switching to a new chassis soon anyway, where it can be well integrated from the start.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    They're switching to a new chassis soon anyway, where it can be well integrated from the start.
    Last edited by FaultyMario; November 14th, 2019 at 12:00 PM.
    acket.

Junior Potato
    This popped up on you YouTube suggestions.

Motorsport: Indycar analyzing path to 900-hp hybrid engines in 2022.

Jay Frye: “That timeline is very much part of what we’re evaluating. In 2020 we’ve got the aeroscreen obviously, but in 2021 there is a window of opportunity so, thinking economically, maybe we break these things out a little differently from what we originally thought. There are a lot of moving pieces right now, it’s fluid, the five-year-plan is a rolling entity – actually we’re already starting to populate ideas for 2026 and ’27 – and we’re aware that economics matter. So right now we’re getting all the data to evaluate how we timeline it.”

"One economic implication being assessed is how much it would cost to modify the current car to run the new engine in 2022 and then buy the next-gen chassis – the one ‘tailor-made’ for the new engine – in 2023, compared with teams taking on the challenge of paying for a new engine and a new chassis in the one year."
    acket.

After Roger Penske completes purchase of Indy500 along with the Mercedes F1 team, maybe they can just use the current F1 engine formula and badge it Chevy. Honda could also use their current F1 engine to save money. They'd just have to make sure their indy chassis could fit the F1 engines...

However F1 formula changes, Indycar should change along with it... so that F1 teams/drivers could easily make a switch to race in the Indy500!

Indy teams could also be development test beds for the F1 teams... and perhaps be able to absorb some unfortunate talented drivers who lost out in the musical chair game...

Now that the indycar/IRL merged nicely... I think it's time to merge Indycar with F1 once again... Using the existed F1 hybrid engine makes financial sense. Indy team owners who wish to compete in F1 will simply have to build or buy their own F1 team. If that's too rich for your blood, then stick around Indycars.
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; November 26th, 2019 at 12:09 PM.

I think the annual lease for a supply of two F1 power units costs more than the whole budget of an Indycar team. It wouldn't make financial sense to do that sort of badge-engineering.

Plus, Penske has debunked the rumors about the Mercedes-AMG F1 purchase.
    acket.

I assumed that whole post was sarcasm, because it was insanely stupid otherwise. F1 cars/teams are in a different stratosphere budget wise from IndyCar, and IndyCar owners are trying to figure out how to reduce costs by 1/6th-1/3rd.
    Get that weak shit off my track

I love the idea that Indy is so shoestring that they can't afford to buy a whole car in a year, they have to split the cost of the motor and the chassis over two years.

Maybe they can flip tires on the wheel and reuse them tonsave some bucks like I do.

I actually wasn’t being sarcastic, but certainly very wishful thinking.

I don’t even watch F1 races anymore, just highlights on YouTube. I don’t even bother watching highlights of Indycar races...

So Roger Penske gotta do something special in order win more audiences like me.

I don’t understand how mass producing 20-30more engines won’t be able to bring the cost down?

You don’t think Renault would appreciate selling more of their engines else where to help recoup their development costs?

Anyway, just telling you guys my vision of future Indy if I were Roger, but of course I’m not Roger!

Junior Potato
    Mass producing 747s is expensive. But try mass producing 20-30 space shuttle orbiters.

You’re talking about switching them from their already expensive current technology, to mega-expensive F1 technology, based on the notion that they want some kind of hybrid tech in the next few years, and you don’t understand why it won’t be economically feasible?

Think of gold plated toilet roll holders. But in F1 they use two layers of gold plating.