Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AAA

AAA

Wondering if people have any experience with AAA or other services. Our insurance that included towing went up $50 this year for some unknown reason.
    We found another that was $200 cheaper, but didn't have towing. So, I was thinking of getting a AAA membership or something on the side to supplement the cheaper policy.

I've never looked into these types of towing/roadside assistance programs before. Are there other options besides AAA? Better ones? Opinions?

FYI, it's my wife's car and has '200k miles. It just has to last until next summer, but I'm not 100% confident in it.

I've been using AAA for years. Even my insurance agent, when discussing her own companies roadside assistance, said that AAA provides additional benefits, and she has been subscribing for years as well. I've used them to get a jump multiple times and once when I couldn't get the bolts on a friend's wheel to move (he just drowned them in WD40). The fact they will show up even if it's not your car is great. A cardholder has to be there, but it's not tied to any vehicle.

That being said, I would not be surprised if someone shows up here and says they're a complete waste of money because you can do it all yourself with proper preparation and training.
    Last edited by Kchrpm; September 27th, 2016 at 12:07 PM.
    Get that weak shit off my track

I have been on and off with AAA since I got my driver's license. My dad has had insurance with them since the '60s, back when AAA was one of the few companies that would insure things like Porsches and Alfas, so it's been in the family. After a really annoying experience around Y2K I killed that relationship, but I signed back up for the roadside service in 2010 when I got the Cadillac. The idea of having to pay for a tow in BFE Utah was daunting, the roadside assistance made financial sense.

There are lots of competitive services in this arena today, you have options. AAA is probably just the most well-known. Rates vary around the country - Sacramento is fairly affordable but IIRC NYC is quite pricey. I think knowing what the cost is locally would be a big component in the decision - I know there are cheaper services around here. However, in California, you can do a lot of DMV transactions in AAA offices and there happens to be a AAA office directly across the street from work which is super convenient... the amount of time I save at the DMV registering cars every year pays for the membership. So, that's a no-brainer. But, also, AAA's Platinum (IIRC, whatever their premium service is) also covers motorhome towing which is a benefit. I do have a Good Sam membership as well - so that's totally redundant - but the towing benefits for Good Sam are a little different than AAA so I've kept both. Also, AAA membership can get discounts in some places - some hotels, amusement parks, etc. - and that has paid off once or twice.

In the six years I've had it, I've used the towing twice - once when I bought the Falcon (it wasn't running) and once when the Fiero left me stranded with a dead ICM. I definitely could kill AAA... but a not-crowded DMV across the street is sooooo worth it to me. Without that benefit, I would shop:

Good Sam (their first year discount might suit you!)
    Allstate Motor Club
    National Motor Club
    Better World Club
    AutoVantage

I think these are the big names.

More of a CMLL guy myself.

I saw there was Allstate and Nationwide... But, I assumed that you needed their car insurance too. I don't buy/sell cars nearly that often, but that might come in handy. I didn't know they did that. Do they still have free paper maps?

Pimp = Consejo Mundial de Lucha Libre co.ltd - is a lucha libre professional wrestling promotion based in Mexico City.

And AAA is their competitor.

Oh? I'm guessing it stands for something else then... which didn't even show up on google's search. And seeing is this is posted in the Open Road, is totally irrelevant.

http://www.luchalibreaaa.com/

Garza Jr vs Johnny Mundo!
    Get that weak shit off my track

I use the USAA towing option on my insurance. Often.

If I do get a DMC anytime soon I'm going to get AAA because I think the towing radius is 200 miles.

The distance they'll tow depends on the service level you pay for.