Page 7 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5678 LastLast

Thread: So, Hurricanes.

Administrator
    Feels like it's been really quiet in the Atlantic and now suddenly it's sprung to life. Do whatever you need to to stay safe.

Fiona just hit the east coast of Canada, where my family lives. They are OK, but widespread damage around them. Hundreds of thousands of people were without power. Still no power in many places after two days and many have to wait a while yet. My bro spent yesterday helping neighbours clean up broken trees and detritus.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    so looks like my job is moving me to West Palm Beach which is out of the cone of uncertainty to work from a hotel until Saturday

Ian mustíve done some damage even to west palm beach? Hope youíre doing okay?

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    I'm good. I just drove back from West Palm Beach.

Overall there wasn't major issues there...although 2 nights ago we had a few tornado warnings and I guess there was some minor damage but these tornadoes usually aren't SUPER strong comparatively.

Regarding where I live, work and where my parents live, all are fine, didn't lose power but some of my co-workers closer to Tampa Bay did lose power but I don't think they'll be out of power too long.

It definitely feels odd to be relieved that it didn't hit US but then feel like crap for the sudden direction change south and the much less time for those people to get out. Some bridges to the smaller islands have been completely destroyed it looks like and power grids will take a long time to be repaired.

On that note I feel like there needs to be a better option for power grids in places prone to hurricanes...like are power lines the best we can really do?

Power lines, even local ones, are a problem. They need to be robust, cheap and easy to fix. Putting them underground does tend to make them much more robust, but maybe even then flooding could be an issue. But underground also means more expensive and much harder to fix.
    My suburb in Sydney was unusual in that it had only underground cabling. Sydney has lots of trees and also gets good storms, so its common to lose power and in a big even possible for many suburbs to lose power and often for a day or more. My place rarely lost power, maybe two decent outages in 15 years - one was a transformer issue.

High voltage is tricky to put underground. Also hard to make them more robust to wind/storms, need shorter spans, bigger line spacing, more tension/less hang - all of which are more expensive. Then you get that the poles can break under extreme events. The problem then is that maybe only a very small percentage would break but its a big cost to make them all more robust.
    In the end its "only money"...

Ian is forecast to hit SC soon. I expect to lose power. We are far enough inland that hurricanes lose significant strength by the time they reach us.

Administrator
    Glad you guys are alright! I suddenly find myself with a lot of Florida coworkers, but so far the only one who's had anything other than some couple-hour-long power outages is one in Orlando who has flooded streets.

*Rain and wind intensifies*

Admittedly, I'm probably a little out of the way of the projected path, and I'm on the less-intense side of the storm. I expect to lose power at some point, but I don't expect any major damage in Columbia.