Page 6 of 10 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: So, Hurricanes.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by National Hurricane Center
    HURRICANE WARNING ISSUED: From Jupiter, Inlet Florida to the Brevard/Volusia County, Florida Line.
    Stay safe, Freude.

Looks like it just started its turn north.

They normally wait after little turns, since they tend to kind of wobble, like a out-of-round wheel, but the 11 a.m. tracks are the first in a while to really not have much of a westerly movement any more. I think Palm Beach county is out of the cone now. I think this is earlier than expected too, if it is in fact heading that way.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    so it looks like the best place to evacuate to would be south west Florida....that's been the big question I would guess for people on the east coast of the state.

Really feel bad for the bahamas...can't imagine the hellscape of being in 150+ mph winds for hours on end

Yeah, can’t imagine what’s that’s like... a giant slow moving tornado sweeping across your neighborhood?

Yeah. The pictures show that parts of it are basically gone.

Nova Scotia is getting Hurricane Dorian right now. All my Halifax friends there are calling it Hurricane Donair. Nova Scotians are accustomed to bad weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia
    ...donair was introduced in Halifax, Nova Scotia, in the early 1970s. There are competing claims about the origin, but according to Halifax resident Leo Gamoulakos, his father, Greek immigrant Peter Gamoulakos, started selling Greek-style gyros at Velos Pizza in the Halifax suburb of Bedford. It did not catch on with the public, so in 1972 he modified the customary pork and lamb recipe by using spiced ground beef, Lebanese flatbread, and inventing the distinctive sweet donair sauce made with condensed milk, vinegar, sugar, and garlic. He called it by the doner name rather than gyros, but it came to be pronounced, and spelled, as donair. Gamoulakos in 1973 opened the first King of Donair restaurant on Quinpool Road in Halifax. In 2015, Halifax named donair the city's official food.
    You can pretty much get a donair at any Halifax pizza joint now.
    Last edited by Cam; September 7th, 2019 at 09:03 AM.

Well I guess the hurricane is rotating - which is what "doner" means.

My buddy's place lost some shingles but that's about it. So my beach vacation for next week is on schedule.

so...what is about to become Hurricane Ian seems to be ready to either sweep just west of here (Tampa Bay) or hit directly....I'm checking my options, might just pack stuff up and drive toward the east coast and find a hotel to stay at for a few nights.