Thread: Weird keyboard problem

Weird keyboard problem

Booted up my pc this evening and right away noticed that the "F" key on my keyboard wasn't being recognized when pressed. So pulled the key cap and checked for any grime etc. all looked fine but still no go. This is a 7 year old wireless Logitech kb and so I figured it just might have failed from use. So I have a wired gaming kb too and just plugged that one in instead and viola! ...not. Same exact issue.

Ok so this is a windows thing now I'm thinking. I've had at least one issue in the past where a windows 10 update borked all the audio output and simply uninstalling all my audio drivers and reinstalling fixed that. So I tried that straight away or the kb drivers but no luck. Started searching or solutions online and came up empty. Now you may be thinking well certainly you figured it out as there many F's and f's being typed in this very post (and no I'm not using my phone). Well I discovered that the key is recognized but only i I hold down either o the shit keys (I purposely didn't for that last sentence). It's even more oF a pain as while it recognizes the keystroke the caps lock is reversed so caps lock on and I get a lower case f with the shift key held and vice versa where the caps lock is working correctly or all the rest oF the keyboard.

So I made sure all the ease oF accessibility keyboard options (sticky keys, slow keys etc.) were all turned oFF as they should be and now I'm just really stumped. Again same exact symptoms with both keyboards. The wireless one does have a FN key but that has no eFFect either.

I'm open to any and all ideas, I'm already a crap typist and this isn't helping matters any.

also meant to mention this is not only occuring in a speciFic browser or piece oF soFtware but all across the board, no pun intended.
    Last edited by Reynard; October 8th, 2016 at 09:03 PM.

Any chance your keyboard got switched to another locality/language?

Nope not that, was still US English... but I think I just figured it out. I was playing Elite and sure enough, when trying to type using the in game chat, I was having the same issues with the "f" key. Then I remembered that I had the "f" key assigned to toggle the FPS counter on/off in GeForce Experience and so I closed the chat & gave it a tap. Sure enough the FPS counter turned on and off just like it should. Hmmmmm. Alright then, so I open up GeForce Exp. and changed the hotkey to Alt+F and well, everything seems to be hunky dory. Regardless, I'm happy for now.

That's all sorts of F'd up.

Quote Originally Posted by speedpimp View Post
    That's all sorts of F'd up.

Sorry, I have nothing else to add.

Indeed! Good one SP.

There was a big update/change to GFE about a week before I noticed that problem and I can only assume (as I rarely have my pc on during the work week) that it happened then and it was a week later that I noticed. Regardless I since went and uninstalled all the nvidia drivers etc. and Did a fresh install with the latest everything and so far so good.

In hindsight I wished I tried assigning a few different single letter hotkeys to that function to see if I got the same result or not...

A fellow animator friend of mine literally wore through his command key from using keyboard shortcuts so often.

command.jpg

That's intense.