Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Attempting to be more fashionable

For those of us on the shorter end of the bell curve: http://www.themodestman.com/
    Whoomah!

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    I'm seriously considering having a tailor make me a couple (I think they're ordered in multiples of 3) of heavy cotton shirts. White shirts. I want them with those rounded 19th century collars. I think they're called "perry" or pembroke. Labor is considerably cheaper in mx than elsewhere, so it wouldn't be that expensive.

What do you guys think?

I know what you're thinking... of course I know what those collars are called!, I googled them!
    acket.

Why wouldn't you get tailor-made shirts? Most of mine are.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Lack of habit, business-sharp is not a prerequisite for NGO or social science work. Quite the opposite, actually.

You're taught to blend in and to not make subjects feel (overly) otherized.
    acket.

Fair enough. It's always good to have one nice tailor made shirt for formal events though.

I should clarify that most of the shirts which I regularly wear are tailor made, but of course most of my shirts and wardrobe is not. Plus tailoring here generally gets you a better shirt for the same price or less than the name brands.

In North America, having tailored clothing made costs significantly more than stuff you simply buy at the store.

Yeah, when I was young back in Asia, I seemed to remember tailor made clothes to be more prevalent and folks do a lot of alterations.

In US, tailored clothing seems kinda exclusive to the rich and famous. I’m not aware of any tailors around my neighborhood. Even the suits I purchase were done with rather minimal alterations.

Anyway, perhaps the dot com boom also contributed to destroying this industry. I used to wear shirt and tie to work back in 1996, but nowadays I just wear jeans and t shirt.

With a family to feed, tailored clothing is probably the last thing on my mind.

Ah, my full canvas suit made in HK is truly great. I'm going to try and get another one made here tonight in KL.

Time to ditch the black tee shirts and Chuck Taylors and get back into style, boys!

I can totally dig it