Page 10 of 13 FirstFirst ... 89101112 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's seriously considering moving out of the U.S.?

Quote Originally Posted by balki View Post
    You mean the day-time high hasn't gone above 0°C only three times? because I'm a few hundred km south and we've constantly had below freezing nights.
    I'll certainly take it after 3 brutal winters in a row. other than pond hockey what's the benefit of cold weather in a metropolitan area? You a salt dealer or something?

Southwestern Ontario is in a weird spot because of being smack-dab in the middle of three Great Lakes. So while places like Boston and Buffalo and Cleveland get the ridiculous snow and wind from lake effect we seem to be in a sort of negative area. Not to say we don't get the odd 5-feet-dumped-on-us-snowmageddon now and then, but the last few years have been super, super mild.

tl;dr winters aren't all that bad in several key areas of Canada. But obviously we still get some snow and cold here and there.

I actually miss the lack of seasons we get by living in Sydney, we basically summer and mild summer. We're all gum trees so there's no Autumn and we're all gum rees so no spring (OK, we've got some jacarandas but they're not that exciting). Then Winter is basically a nice cool summer, ok, sometimes we get a (not very) cold week but the average winters day is low 20's during the day and down to maybe 8-10 at night (low 70's during the day and about 50 overnight in medieval scale). I enjoyed the proper cold of the Chicago winter I lived through, especially the snow (granted, after the 5th year I might get annoyed) and I would love to have the proper full breadth of seasons like you get in Tokyo. Really hot summers, autumn where it cools off and the magnificant colour change, a winter that gets cold and has actual snow and then as the flowers and blossoms break through in spring its a real celebration. Just wonderful.

Oh, and for the other stuff, Whenever someone says that they're going off in a huff to live somewhere else if xxxxx gets voted in the 2 questions are 'and where is that and how will you do it?'. Unless there's a dual citizenship/hereditary rights in play it's really very difficult to do this for all but the very few.

Some people are moving due to Trump, just maybe nobody from the forum.
    My wife's best friend is moving to Northern Alberta as soon as her contract with the NSF is up in September to take a worse job than she has now.
    My friend (and former room-mate) is likely moving to Ireland later this year due to promising his Muslim wife (Who has Irish citizenship) that they would emigrate if Trump won.
    I personally had someone offer me an opportunity overseas a few weeks ago, but decided I'd rather stay - Things might be starting to get real interesting.
    -Formerly Stabulator

If my marriage ended tomorrow, absolutely, I would move back to Canada. My wife has a really good job here right now and we have a great relationship. I'll be here for a little while longer, at least.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    You're literally talking about weather.
    That's probably the single most important factor for my wife when it comes to moving. She's spent her entire life except for just after being born in either Phoenix or Southern California. Snow is a dealbreaker for her. I'd argue it's still on subject.

Oh, and we're talking climate, not weather.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    Oh, and we're talking climate, not weather.
    The new cabinet has proven that climate is a lie!
    We are living in a vacuum.

Quote Originally Posted by tigeraid View Post
    Thanks to climate change, Southwestern Ontario as well as most of the west coast of the country might as well be So-Cal. I think it's gone below freezing here like three days so far this winter?

Just think, in another 20 years Arizona will be an unlivable Mad Max hellscape, and Iqualiat will be a hub of commerce.
    You mean the day-time high hasn't gone above 0°C only three times? because I'm a few hundred km south and we've constantly had below freezing nights.
    I'll certainly take it after 3 brutal winters in a row. other than pond hockey what's the benefit of cold weather in a metropolitan area? You a salt dealer or something?
    I wondered what he meant too. I'm only about 100km closer to Toronto along the 401. Northeast of him, it's true.

And, indeed, he said freezing and not zero. Since early December the daytime highs, where I am, have been mostly below 0C, although we did have an unusually warm and long January thaw. And the nights were almost always below 0C, except during the worst of the thaw.

So thinking about it while away from being able to read it I decided he must have said only three days below zero Fahrenheit. That is the night-time low. But I don't think we've had even that many this year. And, in my experience that is unusual. But then I lived here through the mini-ice-age of the 1970's. But that's not what he said anyway. Perhaps they've built a bubble over London, or something.

https://www.wunderground.com/history...eqdb.wmo=71622
    Last edited by SportWagon; January 31st, 2017 at 08:35 AM.

100km here can be the difference between no snow and two feet.
    Either way, outside of Vancouver I expect Canada to have proper winters (3+ months of mostly below freezing nights) as opposed to a San Francisco winter (omg, our record low was -3°C that one time in 1932)

Yeesh, settle down, sorry I didn't bring the climate data with me.

COMPARED TO THE DAYS OF MY YOUTH UP NORTH IT'S A LOT WARMER IN THE LONDON AREA.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Skimming the thread it seems like no one here said they're moving, except for the people that had made some (at least) preliminary plans before and unrelated to the election.
    The celebs are a different story.

Even if this admin turns out to be as bad as the liberals fear the country will sit be better on average than moving to Mexico. So that just leaves cold-weather Canada as far as options go within 1000 miles.
    There are some really nice ultra high income communities in Mexico (accessible only by helicopter, and such), if you're a celebrity you could make a statement and not have it bad.
    acket.