Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Who's seriously considering moving out of the U.S.?

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar

Who's seriously considering moving out of the U.S.?

Obviously a question for those currently living in the U.S.

Things are getting very sketchy and it isn't just because of Trump IMO, it's because of the whole political/corporate system which seems to have no chance of changing anytime soon without something else bad happening.

I have a new fiance as you may have read, she's from the Philippines, I'm from the U.S. and we both want to move to Japan. I've actually been trying to research if it would be more difficult or not for both of us to move to Japan instead of her moving to the U.S. first (assuming other things like getting a job, etc.)

It's not just for you US peeps! The missus and I were seriously looking at moving over to the US in a year or two as that's where her company is based. Those plans are now firmly on hold until we see how a lot of this shakes out, mainly the healthcare side of things for our own selfish day to day lives, but the whole reversal of equality thing in terms of a 'can we support these things by moving there' kind of deal. And we're middle class and white looking to move to Hoboken, some friends were moving to Arizona for a job opportunity - not any more.

It was to be my escape from the idiocy of Brexit. So thanks America, now I'm stuck here with my morals and indignation.

Junior Potato
    I hope nobody moves. You have to stay there to fight back from the inside.

Me, but was doing so before trump, so didn't really influence me. My hope atm is JET, but I am not expecting to get accepted...

Eh, leaving Florida for California might be your best bet. Larger Asian American groups, much more liberal than Florida as a whole, easier.

You can certainly look into moving to Japan but unless you're working for a company (as a JET teacher, for example) and/or know the culture as well as IMOA does, I'd put it at low odds.

I live in a liberal county in WI, I'm thankfully not moving anywhere. I'm surrounded by Trump voters statewide but while they own the Governor's Mansion and the State Legislature, both Conservatives & Liberals enjoy the quality restaurants, farmers' market, college and diverse entertainment here. I doubt the Koch Brothers Army will steamroll Madison anytime soon -- they'll target Milwaukee first.
    Last edited by novicius; November 18th, 2016 at 06:52 AM.

Legitimately, yes, because we can. The wife and I have been having lots of discussion about our future this week. We are lucky that we can go back to Canada at a moments notice, as we are citizens. I have asked her, even before the election, how bad does it have to be? When the civil war starts, do we run or do we fight? She even commented that there is nothing here that she needs. We could just walk away from all our stuff.

She's already applied for a few jobs elsewhere, even before the election. She has a good friend, senior scientist and former mentor working in NSF at the moment who told her to say goodbye to science funding.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    I hope nobody moves. You have to stay there to fight back from the inside.
    Fight, but to what end? And fight politically or physically? The future is very uncertain at best.

Politically. Volunteer, donate to your groups, get the vote out.

Do the hard work, do your due diligence, don't get all "Hunger Games" out there.

Both!

It'll be safer in America for now...

...if you're white.