Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Anyone gonna FF XV?

I really want to see what this game looks like on PS4 Pro, I think the 'low resolution' issues I see, are largely because I decided to buy a big fucking TV that really points out these things

So maybe I shouldn't get too far in the game, and save my $$ for a couple months and pull the trigger on the PS4P

Quote Originally Posted by 21Kid View Post
    I'm looking forward to it. I need to clear out some of my current games first. But, hopefully by then, it should be on sale.

I played the demo a few months ago. I was looking for some kind of strategy, but it seemed to mostly be button mashing. I was hoping for something that required a little more strategy. I know that Action RPGs are the go-to. But, I'd still like to have a regular turn-based option.

I can play Diablo III if I want a button mashing RPG.
    While it does have a fair bit of button mashing, I have found (just finished 'Chapter 2) that there definitely is strategy involved, you just have to be a bit quicker with it compared to turn based, and it's not quite as clear. I've been struggling to figure out how to do specific things I want, though. One of the crew will say to target specific things, but there's no clear way to change the targeting, that I've found? Or I'm dumb haha. Certain weapons that the main character uses work better against certain enemies. Also magic and skills play a part. Magic, though, seems to be a very limited resource, at my stage at least. You can basically use any spell 3 times, and then you have to replenish it. I notice there's a summon button, so I assume summons will become a thing at some point.

I guess what I'm saying is, compared to some games, 'attack' is definitely the most common form of offense, and there's a lot less magic/summoning involved so far, but the attacks themselves have added variety in weapon types, and associated skills.

I'm only on Chapter 2 (no clue how many chapters there are), so I have no clue if the above changes as the game goes on or not.

I'm excited - the game just shipped and I went ahead and ordered the DVD from Amazon so should have it in a couple days.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    Watch right till the end of the credits in the movie btw...

Noted!

Watched the movie last night - definitely a good lead-in for the game & happy I did.

I enjoyed the movie quite a bit - it suffered from a little bit of the same scattered storytelling that other Square movies had, but was still a good watch. A few times during the movie I completely forgot I was watching CG, and for the life of me I can't figure out whether it's because the work was so good, or because so many movies incorporate CG that I'm used to seeing this quality of work in live action movies. It was a really strange feeling losing myself for a moment or two and then getting yanked back to, "Oh, this is computer generated." Crazy!

I decided to pull the trigger on the PS4P, since I was going to for FFVII anyways, and the Xbone version of FFXV has been annoying me on the big screen.... Happy to report the PS4 version of FFXV absolutely fixes my issues with the Xbone version. Renders at a higher resolution, better details, seems a bit smoother overall. Now I just have to play through the first couple of chapters again I'm notoriously slow with these sorts of games, since I like to wander around and collect things and do side quests as I go along.

That all being said, anyone in the Continental US that wants a copy of FFXV for Xbox One, let me know. It plays and looks good on screens probably 50" and smaller (or if you're simply less picky than I am). Would rather give it to a friend than try to haggle a few bucks for it.

ME!

I'd haggle a few bucks for you.

edit: Or I could send you MGS V when I'm done. I'm about 75% there.
    Or, I could send you the last Batman game... I never actually started it.
    Last edited by 21Kid; December 13th, 2016 at 05:59 AM.

I played for the first time last night - put a couple hours in. I don't have any complaints about the graphics on my 1080p TV - but now I am interested in trying it on the 4k. Quite possible neither TV is actually good enough to create issues.

I went offroading, ignoring what the game told me to do and just ran around the countryside beating people up. Or trying. I am not very good at combat, I don't have the feel for it. My post-battle report cars were always like Offense A, Teamwork A, Defense D. Not good at the X button. I spent a fair amount of time in near death or stasis. Hopefully I will get better with block/parry/weapon switch/spell/warp over time, but frankly I think I will end up button mashing my way through the game.

I am a little put off by how much management I gotta do - manage Ascension, spells, meals, weapons, inventory, blah blah. At the beginning it seems a little overwhelming - a lot of busy work - but I suspect there is some baseline "this works" behavior I can employ so it's not a constant effort. I'm not going to spend hours optimizing four peoples' lives. I get plenty of that at work and at home!

Overall, it's fun but I have a little hesitation... we'll see!

Warping to uh, safe zones, or whatever they want to call it is very vital for Noctis, if at all possible try to lure enemies towards an area that you can warp around in to recover HP/MP.

Also, I just started using 'wait mode' last night, and it helps a lot in trying to focus your attacks against one enemy or another.