Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Small, cheap mp3 players

Small, cheap mp3 players

Anyone got any favorites?

Backstory: our 9-yr-old has discovered portable music. We'd like to upgrade his music player from his current SweetPea to something a little more, uh, mature looking. We'd also like to avoid spending very much money on something that is likely to get lost or broken w/in three years, though, so that rules out the iPod nano and similar.

I found this SanDisk player that seems to do everything we need it to. Thoughts?
    Whoomah!

Any chance you want to give him an old Android phone that isn't registered to a cellular carrier anymore? You could just add it to your Google Play Music account as a device and you're all good. And if it breaks, who cares?

That small MP3 player will get lost.

My kids get all of my hand-me-downs. Works for my 7 year old. No phone service, but wifi works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Any chance you want to give him an old Android phone that isn't registered to a cellular carrier anymore? You could just add it to your Google Play Music account as a device and you're all good. And if it breaks, who cares?
    This would definitely be my approach. CL is littered with Android phones for tens of dollars.

I am really disturbed that he is nine right now, and am tempted to end this conversation, but...

Have you thought about doing a roll-your-own project with Rasp Pi et al? It's more advanced than the electronics kits I was building at that age, but everything is so sci-fi these days it seems about right. My 10 year old nephew plays with Arduino.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Have you thought about doing a roll-your-own project with Rasp Pi et al? It's more advanced than the electronics kits I was building at that age, but everything is so sci-fi these days it seems about right. My 10 year old nephew plays with Arduino.
    YAAAAAAAAAAAAS! If he makes the hardware himself, he'll be less likely to lose/break it because of the sense of pride.

But I do very much like the GPM family plan solution...hmmm...
    Get that weak shit off my track

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    I am really disturbed that he is nine right now, and am tempted to end this conversation, but...
    Almost 10!

(And you're not the only one that is disturbed...lol)
    Whoomah!

I think you could rolling with Arduino for about $60-$70... it could be done for less, but this seems like a neat, flexible solution. Not much actual work to do, but a lot of possibilities for tweaks & such down the road...

$30 CODEC shield - https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-...-vorbis-player

Just need a ~$25 Uno and a project case.

Seems like Pi is about the same -$30 CODEC and a Pi - eg, http://www.rpimusicplayer.com/

The issue that I can see for those kits (and the ones I've found in Google searches) is that they aren't standalone, self-contained and controlled MP3 players. The ones I've seen that are battery powered are controlled by a separate device. If the bare minimum is a AA-powered player that selects and plays music stored on an SD card and outputs to plugged in headphones, it does not seem like a simple project/kit that exists at this moment. Maybe I'm not properly interpreting the pages I've read, though.

Those things do those things - you need to physically provide the buttons, but all the functionality & connectivity is there. Power comes from 3v or 5v, so you can either use an AC adapter or one of the many compatible-voltage rechargeable batteries. It's definitely not the cheapest approach, but a good intersection of educational and functional.

How much programming do you have to do for the UI?