Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Small, cheap mp3 players

What UI?

The basic players just use buttons for actions, but don't have a display. I don't know *anything* about Rasp Pi, but I read that Adafruit Arduino shield walkthrough and it seems very straightforward. There are pads for buttons and function calls for them, so you just need to copy and paste the same code as appropriate.

In theory. I am way too out of the loop on this stuff to be of any use, but it seems pretty straightforward... and from what little looking I've done over the past few weeks, I think there are plenty of resources where you can get help. I'm hoping so, anyway - I'm going to need it! Really, though, Arduino is aimed at beginners learning about electronics and coding - it just can't be that hard to do basic stuff out of a kit.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    What UI?
    Um, the one that lets you pick songs?

Oh, right, we're trying to replicate a Nano, which also had no screen. Boo.

Fucking garbage Apple bullshit
    Get that weak shit off my track

True, but I think that's kind of the neat appeal of rolling your own. The first version has no screen, but nothing prevents you from adding an LCD matrix or TFT, reading ID3 data, and printing it out for v2. Arduino-based MP3 player is just like Bananastang - saves you money up front, costs you more down the road, but you get the thrill of doing it yourself! Sort of.

Nano has had a screen since day 1. The iPod Shuffle was the one missing a screen.
    Whoomah!

Whenever I do something myself it has turned into a money sink and failure. I keep some as trophies of my ineptitude.

Edit: SHUFFLE! That's the one. Nevermind. GIVE THAT BOY A SCREEN!

Poor kid. Wants to jam to some tunes to unwind from the stress of being nine years old and you lot give him a programming/engineering problem.

Damn straight. Better to fill their heads with STEM than music anyway.

When I was his age, I had an alarm clock with AM/FM and one tiny speaker, and I was happy.

Seriously though, I got nothin' on the subject at hand.

If he's rolling his own, how would he get it to fit inside of a GTR GT3 car with an appropriate paintjob?

It's been a long time, but I'm pretty sure this was the stereo in my room until I was 11 or 12 -

Dad was a veep at Pioneer, so.....

I got some cash for Christmas in there and replaced it with a JVC (all I could afford ) that had dual cassette decks, and that pretty much put me on a path of music piracy that took twenty years to kick.