Page 15 of 69 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 F1 Season Compendium

Looks like a season of processional races where Saturday is more important than Sunday. A strategists delight where the fans root for rain races so they can see some action.

Yeah, looks like passing will be pretty much non-existent this year. I think Lewis' tire problems were a result of being stuck behind the Red Bull.

After avoiding the result all day and very nearly seeing the winner but for a timely look-away I have to say it wasn't the procession many were expecting!

The Ferrari looks far better balanced than the Mercedes who appear to have tire wear issues and, as in just about every season of the Hybrid engines, their aero doesn't work anywhere near as well when following another car. Vettel was able to maintain a decent distance so as not to be left behind at the beginning of the race and Lewis seemed to wear the tyres a little bit faster because he was pushing so hard.

Some excellent moments and the drivers now seem to realise they need to PASS people rather than just waiting for DRS so we may see some more aggression from the drivers.

One disappointment was the number of cars and runners lapped. Everyone up to 6th and Perez would have been lapped in another lap or two and I suspect Vettel eased off. Some teams really need a kick up the arse and it's shown, once again rather glaringly that you need the full aero and engine package and that **** costs money and a lot of it. With the new aero and old engine formula there's zero chance of anyone other than Ferrari or Mercedes winning a race at the moment. Unless Renault massively up their game I can't see Red bull fighting for wins at all either. Better than Mercedes or Mercedes I guess, but still disappointing. Changes need to be made, but everyone knows that.

There were, officially, two total on track overtakes in the race.

Processional.

? Just the two when Alonso was passed by Hulkenberg and theotherguythatiforgot at the same time?
    The cars were able to follow fairly closely, so it's not just the aero (pretty bad track for passing, only chances are on the hard braking zones which are now shorter than ever).

Yeah, my understanding is they were both on Alonso. Which means they weren't even competitive.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    I guess that gem from Pérez on sainz didn't count because Lap 1
    acket.

I was standing at turn 6, the were all braking right on the 50m board.
    I ended up leaving early due to not being able to see much with the sporadically placed big screens.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    There were, officially, two total on track overtakes in the race.

Processional.
    I did expect some better things from all the changes. The cars looked great early season, but I was still cynical so didn't bother going to my FiL's to watch the race. He text later: Vettel passed Ham in the pits.

Nice.

I bet the best thing for increasing passing would be mandating steel brakes. When your braking zone is only twice as long as your car, it's hard to make much progress.