Thread: That awkward moment...

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar

Red face That awkward moment...

...when you think the cutscene is still running, and you wonder why your character is just standing there. Happened just now with The Game Of Thrones Telltale Game i'm playing, and again recently with Everybody's Gone To The Rapture, Uncharted 4 and a number of other games.

With advancing technology, i suspect this sort of thing is going to happen a lot more often. But wonder at the same time if/when video game graphics reach a plateau where they can't possibly make it more realistic than real life? This may be 3-4 console generations away yet, but i think i'm glad i'm not a game developer as making them these days takes more than a couple of coloured pixels or half a dozen polygons.

This has been the craziest generation to grow up in (1980s-now), as we've gone from a couple of lines or dots on a screen to a realism you can see/believe in just 30-40 years.

it happens, which should make the devs proud
    "can't possibly make it more realistic than real life" that would have to be a Matrix type-thing where it's connected to your brain rather than a screen
    People get used to advances after a while: confused GT1's replays for actual race footage back in '98 (did the same for an NES screenshot before that)
    -screenshot-300x225.jpg

It is getting close, with full(ish) facial animations, moving hair, and so on. Some games pretty much seem to have had real photographs thrown into the game engine and simply re-3Disd. But the brain thing may not be such a unrealistic sounding reality...

Venturi3D.com for the FUTURE MR2 Fan's Avatar
    So that begs the question, which game do people think is the most graphically realistic right now? I haven't played a lot of the newest games.
    ║]=(86)=[║ Venturi3D.com

Well Battlefield 1 seems to have the most realistic mud. Was watching wifey play it the other day (i haven't yet) and the wet mud level she was on looked just like i guess it would have back in WW1.

The cut-scene to playing thing happened to me in Gears 4 yesterday. Such a pretty game.

I realized it was happening to me in MGS V. But, it was still damn impressive when the handover happened. I wasn't completely sure that I was playing until the character moved.

Venturi3D.com for the FUTURE MR2 Fan's Avatar
    This reminds me of the LOTR games on PS2 where they morph from the actual movie to the game, and did it pretty well. I'd like to see a newer iteration of that!
    ║]=(86)=[║ Venturi3D.com