Page 9 of 15 FirstFirst ... 7891011 ... LastLast

Thread: Cam & Lori's 2017 Subaru Forester

As long as the engine is performing normally and within specifications, I do not believe it is a problem. It's just that many modern Subarus seem to burn noticeably more oil than other similar vehicles.

Higher oil consumption tends to be correlated with more engine problems in general. If you look at the engines reported to consume more oil in Consumer Report's surveys they don't tend to be known for reliability.

Subaru had some issues with faulty piston rings, and settled an oil consumption lawsuit on 2.5-liter engines in the 2011-2014 Forester, 2013 Legacy and 2013 Outback and the 2.0-liter engines in the 2012-2013 Impreza and 2013 XV Crosstrek. The older EJ 4 cylinders and EG/EZ flat 6 cylinders have been noted for head gasket failures for quite some time.

If you look at the Audi 2.0T's inclusion, oil consumption is high in the Gen 2 EA888 years, and the Gen 2 EA888 was known for various engine issues. As somebody who's on the Golf MK7 forums, the Gen 3 EA888 seems to have been pretty big improvement on the earlier version of the engine, with intake valve carbon buildup being less rapid and turbo failures being rare outside of early 2015 production cars. Thermostat housings are still known to leak, so leaky the VW cooling system component tradition carries on.

The BMW 4.4L V8 is on the list, and that's another famously unreliable engine.

Good info.

Thanks man. I read about the apparent issues with the EJ25 but didn't know they had a correlation with higher oil consumption.

We just got another notification from Subaru that they are extending the warranty on something else in the car. As Lori said, "So much for having a J in our VIN." referring to me wanting the quality of a Japanese-made vehicle. There have been a few recalls and extended warranty notifications on our car. I seem to remember hearing that Subaru got in trouble for questionable quality control at their Japanese factories at the time our car was made, but I don't remember specifically what it was. Apparently, there is a class-action lawsuit against Subaru for the battery life or something. The whole deal has turned us off of Subaru.

I made an appointment for a spa day for Frosta at the end of the month.

I don't know if it's actually the same issue, but even today Outback owners (maybe other models too, I haven't looked) find the stock from new batteries to be at best hit or miss - Lots of complaints amounting to "My car is only 9 months old, but I walked out to find the battery totally dead this morning and it won't take a charge." IIRC, one supplier's batteries suck, but others are totally fine and normal.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    Had the battery replaced under warranty, so there was... no charge.

Are you positive?

I had to replace the battery in my 328i shortly after I bought it... as a 9 year old car. It had the original battery installed in Germany. I was impressed.

My Dad's 2014 Forester has been fine. It has had a couple recalls taken care of by the dealer, the latest one was for rear spring corrosion in salty climates or something. We're not in such a climate but the dealer was supposed to have a look anyway and decide whether to replace them.

Our car has had several recalls and warranty extensions on multiple parts. We also had the battery problem and the brake rotors needed resurfacing, covered by the warranty.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    Our car has had several recalls and warranty extensions on multiple parts. We also had the battery problem and the brake rotors needed resurfacing, covered by the warranty.
    I'd be disappointed too. You'd think by the 4th model year, things would be pretty well figured out.

Perusing recalls and TSBs, I only see one recall (airbag related), but quite a few TSBs. Most seem to be related to noise complaints (especially related to the electric power steering) and part revisions, which could simply be a minor change or supplier change. There are some more concerning TSBs like rusting rear subframe bolts, redesigned oil control solenoid valves, ECU reprogramming to avoid knock in high temperatures, a change in valve springs, oil seepage diagnosis, and some others.

Honestly, all the little running changes remind me of how VW does things. My 2019 GTI is on something like the 7th software revision for an engine that debuted in 2014, and had an oil specification and pump change in 2019.