Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 2018 Kia Stinger

Quote Originally Posted by drew View Post
    Speaking of the Genesis, if they'd through the sedan's V8 in the Coupe, I'd buy one a minute later.
    Rhys Millen Racing made one. http://www.musclecarszone.com/348hp-...ution-for-you/

I sold Hyundais for a couple of years and I would love for them to succeed but there are a couple of big issues that I think only time will resolve. The main one is brand image. People still have that misconception that the Korean's make cheap, unreliable cars when in fact Kia and Hyundai both outrank pretty much everybody else in initial quality surveys. Its going to take maybe another decade of putting out good quality cars before they can outgrow that misconception. They're also not quite up to the level of everyone else when it comes to handling/dynamics but again, they'll get there with time, money and head-hunting the right people from other brands.

I see PILES of Genesisesisisies around town - coupes and sedans, and have started to see a few Equus and K900s. I think these cars check all the luxo barge comfort, styling & tech cues, and that's enough for many. I think the major thing working against the Stinger is going to be those badges - you can play off the Genesis as it lacks an H, but the Stinger you're going to be advertising Kia. It may not matter - I see mountains of Optimas - I imagine those buyers will consider the bigger Kia when next they shop.

Those Optimas are handsome cars.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Plus Mazda's ties with Ford speak volumes (!) about their product planning.

And I'm super supportive of both Kia and Hyundai increasing both the reliability, scope, and desirability of their range. I'm all for it, because maybe it'll push the established Japanese brands out of the complacency they've built around themselves over the last 20 years. Only Honda and Mazda do anything interesting at the low-mid end of their range anymore.
    Toyota 86/Subaru BRZ say hi

I'm also trying to figure out what Honda do interesting as well

Quote Originally Posted by shakes View Post
    I sold Hyundais for a couple of years and I would love for them to succeed but there are a couple of big issues that I think only time will resolve. The main one is brand image. People still have that misconception that the Korean's make cheap, unreliable cars when in fact Kia and Hyundai both outrank pretty much everybody else in initial quality surveys.
    It's probably not true everywhere, but around here there is almost no quality stigma left. It's a rare day when someone tells me they're shopping for a car but have ruled out Kia and Hyundai. I mean, really rare. Usually "Have you thought about an Elantra" is followed by "I really like them, but I wasn't sure whether they were good cars" or "That's my first choice." The dealers around here have gone from DEAL DEAL DEAL to "we don't give discounts" or even "they're backordered." I fully expected to be able to pick up a Veloster for cheap by now, but I'd seriously have better luck on a Focus or Fiesta - it's a little nuts.

I too wish they're shore up their handling & dynamics, but people who worry about that stuff in functional ways (as opposed to, "Durrrrrr.... it turns real good") are tiny, tiny minority. Hyundai & Kia are killing it.

I think the breakdown with $50k Hyundais is no different than $50k Toyotas. If you're spending that kind of money on a car, you want a brand to go with it. I think that's why Genesis works and Kia Stinger might not.

I'm seeing quite a few on my commute in the suburbs. Not sure what sort of lease/finance rates KIA is offering but methinks that might have something to do with it

Kia Stinger GTs have had steep markdowns pretty much since they launched, much like the Alfa Romeo Giulia.

Do you see what I did there?