Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Cities: Skylines, SimCity, other city building games etc.

Junior Potato
    My interest was piqued by a random YouTube video suggestion, and now I'm playing this game

First up I wanted to see if my old trick from Sim City 2000 held true, and it looks like it does:

Build the bare minimum required to have a population below 400 people and limit it to that. Next, be patient. Spend as little as possible in your budget for each service. Then as soon as your income overtakes your expenditure, leave the game alone. Literally just leave it running and make some m4d $krilla. As long as you don't go over 420 people, the game won't unlock the need for healthcare, waste disposal, or education. Your town can happily tick by indefinitely without any hassle.

Once that's sorted, make dinner or go off and do some other things while you gradually amass a fortune.

I used to be able to start a city in SC2000 right on the edge of the map with a few short roads, a power plant, some water pumps, and 24 squares of dense residential, 24 squares of dense commercial, and 24 squares of dense industrial. Once I set my ordinances and tax levels at about 10% I could make all the money (or barely more than enough to replace the plant every 40 years), and set the simulation speed to cheetah for a while. I'd look at it again in the year 3000 with billions in the bank and all the cool futuristic services unlocked

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    I've found even with a largeish city you can still pile in money after a while. Made heaps of money on a city to the point where i forgot i didn't have unlimited money turned on and just about spent it all.

And i'm yet to try out a great way to dispose of wastewater i've seen clips of, by digging a large hole in a landlocked area and filling it with water then connecting the sewerage/wastewater to that.

I started a new city again, with much better traffic flow and it's working out great so far. Far more use of one way 6 lane highways too.

With my old city I was bring in about 30k a month so it was easy to just fast forward for a few minutes and then build anything I wanted.

Member to press the print screen button and save yer city pics so you can upload em here.

I got a water treatment system that cuts out 80% of the sewage.

Don't forget to check out the mods. Some of them are absolute game changers, like the auto-bulldoze. The pre-made round-abouts and highway interchanges are a huge help too.

Another issue I have is with pedestrian traffic. I keep trying to build elevated cross walks. But, almost always the buildings are in the way. They take a lot of space. I usually end up bulldozing half a city block.

Junior Potato

I have enough trouble making my cities look pretty as it is without placing things individually like that!

There are some insanely detailed city builds out there for this game, and even the developers are constantly impressed by what players are coming up with.

I really should just go on Steam and get a copy of Skylines. I'm still playing Simcity4, and playing it a lot. Its still a fun game and you can keep it fresh with all of mods and DLC.

I stopped playing SimCity 4 because i couldn't find a fix for the crash to desktop bug. Lost so much progress during city builds cos of that.

Administrator
    This is one of the more impressive things I've seen on Cities: Skylines -

https://www.reddit.com/r/CitiesSkyli...onal_overtake/