Page 10 of 11 FirstFirst ... 891011 LastLast

Thread: Ultimate Track Day

Quote Originally Posted by Freude am Fahren View Post
    [...] I always felt bad, because I think my dad was pretty disappointed. But looking back, I'm also mad I didn't get to experience it.
    I still owe my parents a baseball game for making them leave early from an Indians game in the early 80s (they hit a home run and set off fireworks--grade-school me really didn't like loud noises).
    Whoomah!

Yes, everyone with a smattering of interest in motorsports should go to a NHRA, IHRA or any professional drag racing event that runs fuel cars. You get to see (no pun intended) what it's like to actually have your eyeballs rattled in their sockets, blurring your vision just watching a car launch. It's pretty awesome but imo also pretty exhausting even just being spectator, for me at least. But if you only go to one drag race in your life I would very highly suggest the California Hot Rod Reunion in Bakersfield every Autumn. That's were you get to see the really cool stuff.

When I was very young my parents took myself and my two bothers to Brands Hatch. We were sitting on the outside of Paddock Hill bend and that's about all I can remember. I mustn't have been older than maybe four or five. I'd love to go to Santa Pod over there at some point.

Administrator
    I used to live just about 2 miles from the Fairplex in Pomona, CA. I never went to the NHRA nationals there, but they were loud enough where I was at to interfere with normal TV watching, even being 2 miles away.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Legacy:

1952 Mercedes W194 (300SL)

This class is huge and features all the iconic rides that were there at the infancy of F1 and Indy, but I've chosen the king of Le Mans, Nürburgring, and the Mille Miglia. It's cramped and hot and only 175hp but I don't care.

Honorable mentions: 1951 Alfa Romeo 159, Richard Petty's No. 43 1967 Plymouth Belvedere
    Pittsburgh Auto Show is this weekend and they're going to have a '55 Mercedes 300SL Gullwing there. Stoked, never seen one in person. Heading there Friday after work. The convention center is one block from work, easy money.

This is what else they'll have: http://www.pittautoshow.com/featured_vehicles.cfm

I want to see the new NSX in person to see if I hate it less than I do now.

At one of the Newport Concourse I went to, (Jeez that was almost ten year ago. ) there were four or five 300SL Gullwings parked next to each other.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    Pittsburgh Auto Show is this weekend and they're going to have a '55 Mercedes 300SL Gullwing there. Stoked, never seen one in person. Heading there Friday after work. The convention center is one block from work, easy money.

This is what else they'll have: http://www.pittautoshow.com/featured_vehicles.cfm

I want to see the new NSX in person to see if I hate it less than I do now.
    There's a new NSX at an exotic car shop a couple of blocks from my place. It still looks like a squashed TL.

Saw an NSX on Monday. I'll have to see if my dashcam picked it up.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    There's a new NSX at an exotic car shop a couple of blocks from my place. It still looks like a squashed TL.
    I described it to someone today as an MDX squished into an R8 mold.

Quote Originally Posted by Reynard View Post
    Yes, everyone with a smattering of interest in motorsports should go to a NHRA, IHRA or any professional drag racing event that runs fuel cars. You get to see (no pun intended) what it's like to actually have your eyeballs rattled in their sockets, blurring your vision just watching a car launch. It's pretty awesome but imo also pretty exhausting even just being spectator, for me at least. But if you only go to one drag race in your life I would very highly suggest the California Hot Rod Reunion in Bakersfield every Autumn. That's were you get to see the really cool stuff.
    I can't stress this enough as well. I'm not sure about the Hot Rod Reunion but it should be an event that runs Top Fuel and Funny Cars. Your whole entire body and the entire earth and structures around you will vibrate for the 4.5 seconds it takes for the cars to get down the track.

It's a good example of how powerful sound waves and air pressure can be. It's the only thing I can think of that required me to catch my breath just sitting and watching it.