Page 15 of 21 FirstFirst ... 51314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Low, or lower-end audio. Or middle. But not high.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    acket.

Junior Potato
    Without knowing the specifics, if you have Bluetooth speakers you will want to connect them to the device you want the sound to come from. If they can connect to your PC then that would be ideal.

Think of it this way:

The PC is the centre of your music playing setup. Connect the speakers to the PC for them to play what's playing on the PC. The phone is just a dumb remote control, like a really fancy input device.

Here's an alternative setup which you probably do already:

The phone is the centre of your music playing setup. The PC is a separate thing which is not involved. Connect the Bluetooth speakers to your phone and send audio directly to them.

Quote Originally Posted by FaultyMario View Post
    Thanks Mario. I didn't find that page when I was looking around yesterday.

That helped me find the triangle icon you mentioned. I opened every menu trying to find some output options but didn't realize that was a thing that could be clicked on.

It's right there in plain sight above the Account menu.

It reminds me of when I started playing GTA V on the Xbox 360 and didn't realize the big chrome Xbox logo on the controller was a button that could be pressed to make thing happen. I thought it was just a logo. I guess I'm just getting old and have a withering imagination.

The Buck Owens album is the one I grabbed at random and dragged into iTunes yesterday as a test. I don't know where the U2 album came from; it's not one I own.

Clicking the triangle icon shows me two options. I guess I need to get some kind of remote speaker now - which has been the plan all along - to send the output to.

From what I've read, wi-fi speakers sound better and I assume they have a greater range than bluetooth. The PC is going to stay in the basement but I'd like the sound to be controlled and listened to upstairs, which has what has been driving this madness all along.

This is supposed to be a surprise for my wife, actually. She's still putting CDs into a boom-box. I figured she could just pick up her iPhone and choose from our entire CD collection that's on the PC and have it play on some kind of speaker in the same room she's in. Then, we won't have CD cases all over the place like a late-'80s college dorm room.

Thanks again, gents. Sorry to be such a rube.
    Last edited by George; January 14th, 2022 at 08:24 AM.

So what's the present, the wifi speaker?

acket.

Not a present, just a pleasant surprise - I hope. I previously bought her an mp3 player a while back and loaded it with her favorite albums but she didn't use it. Fine - now I have a backup mp3 player, and I'll be the first to admit the tiny, scrolling display on the mp3 player is hard to get used to. I'm hoping the larger screen on her iPhone would make it easier to browse and select what she wants to hear.

I'm trying to do a nice thing, but as a luddite myself, I realize some folks like to do some things their way. That's why I'm not out buying a Sonos Move as YW suggested - at least not yet. I may just take the PC and its wired speakers upstairs long enough to demonstrate the concept this weekend.

Speaking of the Sonos Move, for $400 you don't get an auxiliary input? That's just plain evil, like Apple taking standard headphone jacks off their phones.

Yesterday I bought and installed a Sonos One speaker and the iTunes Remote app on my wife's iPhone and iPad. I still have some things to learn about how the iTunes program on my Windows PC works, but so far, so good. I suspect it will not be our only Sonos product as time goes on.

Thanks to everyone for explaining what I needed to be able to stream music around the house from the PC in the basement.

That and a back rub and you should be set for a weekend of winning.
    acket.

I wouldn't call a Sonos One lower-end audio. It's reasonably mid-range (albeit for normal people, that is, not audiophiles).

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    Thanks to everyone for explaining what I needed to be able to stream music around the house from the PC in the basement.
    Not a problem. I hope it all works well for you.

A friend used his karaoke set 3 times, out of which the cops were called on him twice. He gave it to me (I'll obviously pay him for it) and now we can all sing! Woohoo!