Page 5 of 21 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Low, or lower-end audio. Or middle. But not high.

I remember when we got our first automated record player. You could program a playlist! It was almost more fun watching the needle pick up and move to the next track as it was listening to the music. The inter-track delays were the worst though!!

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    I have an old Onkyo tx-sv3 series receiver and recently discovered a speaker wire had come off one of the front speakers. Unfortunately i didn't discover it soon enough and the main light switch started blinking and the receiver switched off, so i used the kill switch under the standby button. I tried to turn it back on and it clicks back on with the switch but the button does nothing and although the light comes on the fluorescent display is dead.

I'm thinking it's a fuse. But before i open it up I'd like to
    To know what to look for and where. Any experience with Onkyos, Tyler?
    acket.

So... I think I need to upgrade. I've had this lower end Infinity pod system for 10-ish years.

Then I got a 7.1 receiver 3-4 years ago(geez, 6 actually) and added these two bookself speakers as the new fronts, and I was using all 4 of the pod speakers as surrounds.

I was thinking of upgrading the center channel speaker, because it sounds weak compared to the others.
    Thoughts? Should I not further my Frankenstein system? It looks like they don't make the same model as the newer fronts I got anymore. I was hoping to match those.

I thought having similar speakers helped the sound stay more uniform. But, does it really matter? Should I just upgrade all of them. I'd probably want to get a new DTS:X/Atmos receiver, if I go that far.

It matters if you're really picky, they'll have similar sound profiles, but for most people it won't matter much. Nothing wrong with Frankensteining a low- to mid-fi audio setup, I've been doing it for like 20 years. Replace one piece at a time as budget/technology warrants and move the older, working stuff to a new system in a new room. I have a receiver in my bedroom that's probably 20 years old playing through speakers that are 10-15 years old with a Chromecast Audio as the only source.
    Get that weak shit off my track

What he said.

Unless you're a highly focused audiophile, buying speakers a little bit at a time is probably preferable to all at once.

A lot will depend on what you're listening to, and what adjustments exist on your receiver. Buying for TV & movies is different than buying for music - to that end sometimes you are better served with different LR, center, and surround speakers... each with its own task. Because the center channel is probably the most important for TV & movies (it's where a significant portion of audio comes from - especially dialog) the center channel is probably where you want to blow your wad. OTOH, for music, front left and right should get your dollars.

I should have known a little bit at a time was better. What was I thinking?!? WWDSD? (What Would DockSide Do?)

I mostly watch movies/play video games. So I'm mostly interested in home theater speakers. I was mainly looking at this low-profile Polk behemoth, which is what got me thinking... Brown Walnut + black + silver is not the most aesthetically appealing set up.

sidenote: I didn't realize Cerwin Vega made home theater speakers. I only remember the big 15" woofers my friends had in high school.

$300 on a single speaker? Man, you're already living the California life...

Quote Originally Posted by 21Kid View Post
    I should have known a little bit at a time was better. What was I thinking?!? WWDSD? (What Would DockSide Do?)

I mostly watch movies/play video games. So I'm mostly interested in home theater speakers. I was mainly looking at this low-profile Polk behemoth, which is what got me thinking... Brown Walnut + black + silver is not the most aesthetically appealing set up.

sidenote: I didn't realize Cerwin Vega made home theater speakers. I only remember the big 15" woofers my friends had in high school.
    I don't know if 2017 CV is the same company that blew women's panties off in the '90s or not. I feel like they may just be a brand name these days, but I honestly don't know.

I don't like those low-profile speakers - they try to make up for a lack of surface area by throwing more cones at you, but you'll never get the same performance from six 3" cones as would from three 6" cones (to draw a contrived comparison). At least, not at the same power level. Bigger speakers are more efficient - they make more sound with less power. If space is the concern by all means carry on, but if you have space I'd look at physically larger speakers.

$300 is an expensive speaker, but I do really feel the center channel is important and you will benefit from the spend here. I have the previous version of this:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107CSI...-A6-Black.html

and have been very happy with it. There is a less expensive 4" driver version of it which may be a good fit if you're space-conscious:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107CSI...-A4-Black.html

It might be a good match for those Infinity bookshelf speakers - they look like 4" drivers as well.

Another option - in the middle - might be this:

https://www.crutchfield.com/p_107CS1...S10-Black.html

It's quite inexpensive, sounds solid (got one for my parents), and wouldn't be a bad match for what you've got, either.

I don't actually know what my center speaker is. I probably bought it 5-10 years ago.

But my tower speakers are bangin'

I bought a set of these speakers yesterday at my local MicroCenter store for $21.99 plus tax. They're supposedly "refurbished", but they look brand new to me, except they come in a plain box with no paperwork. They don't look like cleaned-up versions of old, dusty speakers that office cleanup ghouls collected on carts while preparing outsourced employees' cubicles for a new group of transient consultants. The "new" versions were right next to these on the shelf and priced at $39.99.

I'm going back this weekend to get at least one more set for my garage to use with my mp3 player/FM receiver. Now that is low-end.

Great? Probably not. But awesome for the price? You bet. I'm using these as regular PC speakers and they sound worlds better than the set of old, beige Gateway 2000 speakers with no subwoofer that they're replacing. Truth be told, I bought this first set for the garage, but when I plugged them into the PC and did an A/B test with my older speakers, I knew I'd be going back for another set of these.

If I had to complain, I might mention the subwoofer has no volume control. There's an overall volume control on a little wired remote control, but you can't change the subwoofer/tweeter mix without using your computer's audio control panel (which was necessary on my Win10 Dell to get these EQ'd to my liking). But that's not really a complaint. These are nice and sound good for what they cost.

http://www.microcenter.com/product/4..._(Recertified)

Last edited by George; June 17th, 2017 at 05:22 AM.