Page 2 of 21 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Low, or lower-end audio. Or middle. But not high.

My amp has Rhapsody built in--I like that the new one has Spotify instead. I've been hoping that they would fix that via a firmware update for mine.

FWIW, my Yamaha has been problem-free since I got it, and Yamaha's control app is pretty good, too.
    Whoomah!

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Edit2: But not wireless. In 2017? Really?
    $20 gets you a wireless extender with an Ethernet port. But, yeah...
    Whoomah!

I have become the owner of a '90s home stereo receiver and other components but no speakers. I'd like to buy a pair of low, or lower-end bookshelf speakers. Or middle. But not high.

Here are the power amp specs from the owners manual for "stereo mode" (I'm not interested in "surround mode" and multiple speakers):

Front L/R channels
    60 watts per channel min. RMS. at 8 ohms, both channels driven, from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz, with no more than 0.08% total harmonic distortion

What should I be looking for in a pair of speakers that's a good match for this for impedance and power handling? Specs something like this, perhaps?

"handles 20-150 watts"
    "impedance: 8-ohm"

I see a lot of speakers with a wide power range like that. If the amp puts out 60 w/ch, am I okay as long as that falls into the range listed for the speaker, such as in the example above?

You need to compare RMS to RMS or Max to Max to know the answer - "handles 20-150 watts" could be RMS or it could be max, and without knowing that, you don't the answer. IME, typically when a range is provided the spec is RMS, and RMS is typically cited in home audio gear (whereas max is often cited in car audio gear... grrrrr.) But, you really want to compare both specs to ensure if you dime out the amp you don't blow up the speaker. Of course, maybe you won't even turn it up all the way, but still....

Unless you want to spend a lot, check out partsexpress.com - they specialize in Totally Adequate Gear and you don't have to pay name brand, big box store markups.

I think I am going to order the non-network version, sadly lose the optical in, and spend the $100 I would have spent on optical and non wireless network functions on a Logitech Harmony Home Hub. It's stupid having an entire extra piece of equipment, but OTOH I have two other Harmony Hubs so that's one less app, and maybe if I feel saucy I'll add in an Echo Dot and then have voice control.

I just can't find a better option - intersection of wireless, smart, small and, most importantly, cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    You need to compare RMS to RMS or Max to Max to know the answer - "handles 20-150 watts" could be RMS or it could be max, and without knowing that, you don't the answer. IME, typically when a range is provided the spec is RMS, and RMS is typically cited in home audio gear (whereas max is often cited in car audio gear... grrrrr.) But, you really want to compare both specs to ensure if you dime out the amp you don't blow up the speaker. Of course, maybe you won't even turn it up all the way, but still....

Unless you want to spend a lot, check out partsexpress.com - they specialize in Totally Adequate Gear and you don't have to pay name brand, big box store markups.
    I'm familiar with RMS and Max from messing with pro audio stuff in my younger days - bass amps & speakers, small PA systems, etc., but I don't know beans about home audio. I've bought a couple of those all-in-one bookshelf units over the years that were sort of like the '80s boom box evolved to have speakers that could be separated from the center unit and a remote control. No thinking required.

Thanks for the site suggestion. Something like this is probably what I'm looking for, but this one lists Nominal Power, too. More research is required, but I'm not going to over-think this purchase as I do with so many others.

https://www.parts-express.com/yamaha...-pair--312-606

Those are probably nice speakers. I've always found Yamaha speakers to have a good, warm sound. Specs are "Power handling: 70 watts RMS/140 watts max • Impedance: 8 ohms," so they are probably a very good match for the amp you mentioned.

Speakers is speakers is speakers - if you got dosed back in the day, you know all there is to know. Nothing has changed except the range of what's available... 1ohm impedances and whatnot. Nothing like that would apply to '90s tech though.

I suggest one of those Dayton Audio things, because I think my friend works for them. And based on nothing else.
    Get that weak shit off my track

I have some of their outdoor speakers in my... outdoors. They are a little lacking in bass, which surprises me based on the specs of everything, but I'm not mad at them. Especially not mad at what they cost for what they delivered.

Ha it looks like Parts Express is right next door, 705 and 725 Pleasant Valley Dr. I think I knew that before but had since forgotten.

And they do have a retail store, hmm...
    Get that weak shit off my track