Page 7 of 21 FirstFirst ... 5678917 ... LastLast

Thread: Low, or lower-end audio. Or middle. But not high.

I've bought from them. Would recommend them.

I guess I need to get myself to a store that sells TVs and ask this question, or maybe someone here could suggest a forum where such things are discussed?

I've seen HDTVs mounted flush or nearly flush to walls for a long time now but never had a place for one at home, until now. All the inputs on the back of our TV come out of the back of the TV, toward the wall. From testing the flexibility of the cables, it looks like our TV will need to stand at least three inches away from the wall to allow the cables to come up from below and bend 90 degrees to plug in.

That would look terrible and can't be right. What am I missing here? Do I need to find some 90-degree adapters to get the TV closer to the wall? Or do people cut holes in the drywall behind the TV and run the cables that way?

Signed,

Captain Clueless

All the cables that come out of my circa 2009 Panasonic plasma come out parallel to the wall, so it could be as close to the wall as the mount/thickness of the TV allow.

A neighbor told my wife the same thing - the cables come out of the bottom of her TV. Hmm. We have two HDTVs and all the jacks are on the back of both, and both are newer than 2009. I'd guess one is maybe four years old and the other is three, give or take a year, maybe. The newer one, a Sony, is a smart TV that has wifi, and that was a new feature when that TV was new - whatever year that was.

I did a little googling about this and found some instructions on how to mount a TV on a wall, but the sites I've found with just a quick search talked more about how to find studs and get everything level (I can do those things) but glossed over the specifics of cable routing. "Put the cables inside a plastic channel and paint it to match the wall" is about as technical as the sites I've seen so far have gotten.

I'll have to drop by a Best Buy (shudder) or similar store and ask for advice. Thanks for your comment, TB.

Administrator
    At least for my TV, it's got a breakout box that plugs in parallel to the wall - the TV extends slightly in the back and has a socket for the breakout box on the side of that extension. Then HDMI cables go into that. Our previous one had most of the ports on the back that would point towards the wall, but one port was like this one, where it came in from the side. That said, both were a little bit newer than that, the previous one I think was about 2011, the newest one is 2017.

If you buy a wall mount that will give you a few inches to play with.

I had a pleasant surprise in the low-end audio (and video) department this weekend.

The lack of analog audio outputs has been my main beef with the new HDTVs since we got one (now two) that will not connect to a stereo system. Sure, I can buy a new receiver or a soundbar and subwoofer, and probably will someday, but I want instant gratification, and at little or no cost.

I recently scored a free 24" monitor with an HDMI input and noticed the analog output when I got it home.

Suddenly we have a small low-end audio/video setup in the basement that lets us use our Roku3 box, Xbox 360, and my son's Nintendo Switch and hear it through an older stereo that we hadn't been using at all. It sounds infinitely better than the tinny-sounding built-in speakers in TVs these days.

The next time one of my son's friends comes over with his Switch and wants to play Fortnite, he will have his own monitor and speakers to use with my son's Switch docking station, while my son plays on PC. That is pretty cool. And, if I want to watch some Netflix, stream some music, break out some cassette tapes, or chase Cam's ghost in Trials HD while I'm puttering around in the basement on weekends, I can do that too.

Sure, it's a small "TV", but the price was right.
    Last edited by George; November 5th, 2018 at 02:56 PM.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Buy a Toslink to RCA adapter, they're like 5 bucks.

Granted, some audio sources [IME it's mostly additional speech tracks] are encrypted, but not all of them.
    acket.

Wow, I didn't know they had gotten that inexpensive. The last time I looked for them at the MicroCenter, I was told they didn't carry them, which seemed odd to me. They tend to have anything and everything to hook one electronic thing into some other thing.

I might grab one of those for more basement experimentation, but I'll probably wait and do it right for our primary setup, rather than trying to mix old and new and wondering why things don't sound right.

All this has me thinking again about wall-mounting the TV in our family room. How do you guys deal with multiple HDMI inputs with a TV on a wall?

Right now our HDTV sits on a deep shelf and it's so light I can just pull one side out with one hand and and switch cables with my other hand. All the wires are neatly hidden behind the TV this way, no matter what is connected at the time.

Do I need an HDMI splitter so I can run just one HDMI wire up to a wall-mounted TV, and then switch devices at the box somewhere out of sight? We have shelves on both sides of the wall where the TV would go, so I can conceal the wires except for the one(s) that will actually connect to the TV.

From a quick search, I'm thinking I need something like this:

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    What's a good software to convert FLAC to ALAC in Windows? I've heard of AuI ConverteR 48x44 do you peeps have any other recommendations?
    acket.