Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: Low, or lower-end audio. Or middle. But not high.

Junior Potato
    About the only things that haven't changed in my HT setup are my Jamo speakers and the cables I use to run them.

All the other components have changed. The stuff I plug in (computer, consoles, TV) usually have a shelf life and are the main cost factor. Easy to understand.

The amp is a slightly different story. My current amp is the second Denon I've owned. The first amp I bought was a Sony and it died when the capacitors wore out. My second amp was a Denon and it was retired and sold because it wasn't compatible with 4K HDR over HDMI to my 4K TV. The current amp is the cheapest in the Denon line and allows 4K HDR and this futuristic technology called Bluetooth which lets me stream Spotify from my phone. My amps last as long as I am happy with the features they provide.

The only constant have been the aforementioned speakers and the speaker cables. They (the speakers, not the cables) are inarguably the most important part of any HT setup. Once you invest in a good array of speakers, they will stay with you for as long as you have functioning ears. And Sony doesn't make speakers like that.

Thanks gents. As always, good information to think about here. These points to ponder should push any buying decisions back at least another year or three.

And Cudaman is right; I really don't want tiny speakers. I also don't want wireless speakers. And maybe one day I'll find a use for bluetooth, but I haven't yet.

I am grateful for the specific products you guys have mentioned, rather than just speaking in generalities.

I snapped a picture yesterday for my own future reference and thought I'd share it here in case anyone has any comments. This is one of the rear speaker wires coming out of drywall in one of the corners of the ceiling and how much room I have to work with. The walls are all off-white...that pink tint isn't there with the naked eye.

And, speaking of low-end, my iPhone 7 has started taking blurry pictures except for up close lately. I'm hoping if and when I update to the latest software version, that will be fixed.

I notice both Sony receivers Kchrpm linked and the one from Cudaman do not have subwoofer outputs. Where would I plug in the sub?

I googled it and found pages like this one that seem to indicate I'll need to rig something in between the two. That seems strange to me. Doesn't (almost) everyone use subwoofers with home theatre setups?

https://www.digitalprosound.com/how-...woofer-output/

Heck, if I have to go to Radio Shack and buy some adapters to connect a sub, I can just use the receiver I already have. It has surround and center speaker outputs. I thought the lack of a subwoofer output was one of the two reasons I needed a newer receiver.

Oops! I didn't look closely enough. I thought the subwoofer outs would look just like the speaker outs. After zooming in and looking around some more, I see the sub outputs on all three.

*dons dunce cap*

(and now I'm wondering if my 1990s Onkyo receiver has a sub output also and I didn't notice it)

The subwoofer plugs into the receiver, not the speakers.

Going back to the image of the back of the Yamaha, you can see a dedicated subwoofer out jack, labeled "PRE OUT SUBWOOFER" between the RCA ports and the speaker cable ports.

Some systems will have 2 or subwoofer output ports, for left and right subs.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Once you invest in a good array of speakers, they will stay with you for as long as you have functioning ears. And Sony doesn't make speakers like that.
    I agree with the former but not the latter, but I am not an audio connoisseur
    Get that weak shit off my track

Yup, I missed that the first time around. I thought the subwoofer outputs would look just like the other speaker outputs. I'm slow, but I catch on eventually.

It's a different output because the receiver doesn't power the sub. It just sends a LFE signal to the sub and the sub's built-in amplifier amplifies it.

It looks like your phone focused on the bottom of the tape measure there. Focus point in the wrong spot? I don't speak iPhone.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    I connected The Computer to the HiFi with the Bluetooth. The sound is bad. It starts to skip, like when needle is old or turntable mat is dirty.

I had older Apple TV out of duty because we bought newer Roku for streaming. So I now connect bridge from The iTunes to the Apple TV to The HiFi with The Toslink cable. I was under impression The iTunes to The Apple TV was a Wifi link.

Recent problems with AirPods not capable of playing The Lossless files via The Bluetooth lead me to question my choice of bridge.

So, quick question, by doing the iTunes-to-Apple TV bridge, am i using a broad band or the narrower BT signal?
    acket.

Junior Potato
    Computer or phone to Apple TV I’m 99% sure is WiFi. You’d have to manually connect your devices via Bluetooth if that was the case.