Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Low, or lower-end audio. Or middle. But not high.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    Those are probably nice speakers. I've always found Yamaha speakers to have a good, warm sound. Specs are "Power handling: 70 watts RMS/140 watts max • Impedance: 8 ohms," so they are probably a very good match for the amp you mentioned.
    Ordered. They should be here this Friday, January 27.

If this deal doesn't go down as expected, I'm coming for you with a dull spoon, bro.

IME, a Yamaha anything is a good thing. I hope they haven't gone the way of so many nostalgic brand names that are now utter crap.

I'll be sure to post a low, lower-end, or middle (but not high-end) consumer review once received, installed, and house having been rocked with some vintage cassettes and vinyl.
    Last edited by George; January 23rd, 2017 at 05:32 PM.

That seems like a pretty healthy low end spec for bookshelf speakers. I'll be interested to hear your review.
    Whoomah!

Yeah, really enjoying that 8" woofer - should help do more with the 60w you have than the typical five inchers you find in a bookshelf speaker.

I ended up picking up the non-network Yamaha from Amazon. It was $99 in a refurb with $12, 10-day shipping, or $150 from Amazon delivered... well, already. My sense of instant gratification is worth $38.

I may end up buying a second one... or maybe the second will be the network version. But, what I'm really hoping to find next is a similar ~100w, 2-channel amp with two inputs (at least one analog) and some sort of remote interface the Harmony will talk to. Doesn't need to anything other than that...

It seems the problem with wanting a dedicated two channel amp is everyone assumes if you want a dedicated amp, you also want the best.

Whoomah!

This doesn't solve the connectivity issue, but what about a small Class D stereo amp? http://www.parts-express.com/pyle-pc...fier--310-2002
    Whoomah!

Looks likes Class D (or T-Amp) with Bluetooth streaming is a thing. Not having any luck with wi-fi control or connectivity so far.
    Whoomah!

Possibly some confusion:

#1 = AM/FM + amp + smartphone control + Bluetooth: This is solved with the Yamaha R-S202 and a Logitech Harmony Smart Hub for $230 ($150+$80). It's about the same price as that networked N301 (or whatever) but the smartphone control is totally wireless with the Harmony. Got the Yamaha today, should have the Harmony in a couple.
    #2 = amp + 1 analog input + 1 analog or digital input + IR remote: Not sure what to do here. That Sony you posted would do it, but I think if I'm going to get a conventionally sized amp I might as well just get another Yamaha. I hadn't though about one of those Class D amps - I like that. I just need to find one that has some sort of remote control so it can controlled with a Harmony remote (programmed codes or learned codes, whatever). Although, I wonder if you could just turn it on and off remotely (lots of ways to do that) with a preset gain and then use the line-out signal to control its actual volume? If so, maybe try one of the generic board amps? 36v PSU is kind of annoying, but hardly insurmountable. Edit: Oh, but those don't have source switching. Derp.

There were a couple with IR remotes that I saw.
    Whoomah!