Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst ... 2345614 ... LastLast

Thread: Low, or lower-end audio. Or middle. But not high.

Whoomah!

Caveat: I have no idea if any of this stuff, you know, sounds good.
    Whoomah!

Always the gotcha, eh? Nothing serious is happening here... so long as it doesn't sound bad it's probably fine.

This is interesting:

http://www.parts-express.com/lepai-l...rd-fm--310-304

The speakers I am driving are 4-way tower speakers but are bi-amp-able. I was aiming for a 100wpc situation, but I wonder what happens if I convert the speakers to bi-amp and then power each leg with 45w. For $40 it's maybe worth the experiment!

With a 9v-14v input, even if it doesn't do what I want it could possibly find its way into the Falcon! I wonder what's inside - how hard it would be to remote mount the display?
    Last edited by thesameguy; January 25th, 2017 at 10:18 PM.

I think I have identified a significant gap in consumer electronics.

My patience is stretched.

Might just get a Sony STR-DH130, since this doesn't need Bluetooth. The price premium between it and more hobbyist solutions just isn't that great.

Quote Originally Posted by 21Kid View Post
    Monoprice has similar - but I think nicer looking - tube amps. I really want one, but I don't have an actual use for it. I don't have any speakers where sub-50w is going to be worth a damn. My house is littered with big speakers. You know, the kind that blow women's clothes off.

The best kind!

Okay, so where this was going:

I have an Echo Dot in the bedroom, which I really love for the half-asleep time & weather check. I didn't want a whole Echo up there just due to size... which is of course insane given there is a 48" TV, a pair of Bohlender tower speakers, and an Xbox One, but whatever, it's my life. Anywho, the downside of the Dot is the tiny speaker blows for streaming music. My plan was given the speakers were already there to just run audio from Dot through the big speakers and have a nice result.

I guess fortunately I discovered there is what I would term a major design flaw with Dot. I mean, like huge. If you plug something into the audio jack, it disables the built-in speaker. That's hardware, not software. If you want to plug Dot into a stereo, great, but from then on she can only talk to you through the stereo. In fact, even if that cable goes nowhere, it's mere presence disables the onboard speaker. Really happy I decided to test that tonight!

I grabbed the Bluetooth-equipped Yamaha R-S202 I just got and set it up. I paired the receiver to Dot and that works correctly - if she connects to it, sound goes through it; otherwise, sound comes out the built-in speaker. Even better, the Yamaha has a dedicated input for Bluetooth, and if it's not selected the BT radio is off. That is much better than the Denon downstairs, which as soon as it gets a BT or AirPlay pairing starts doing that immediately. Really a problem at parties when 30 people interrupt the music with errant button presses in the youtube app.

Anyway, Yamaha has no such problems. I set up a Harmony activity called "yourself" which turns on the Yamaha and set the input to Bluetooth. Now, I just say "Alexa turn yourself on" and she starts playing through the Yamaha. Dumb to connect two stationary devices inches away with Bluetooth instead of a cable, but it seems to work...

... Except I am getting major audio interruptions. I don't know whether it's Dot, iHeartRadio, the internet connection, or BT yet. That is a challenge for this weekend.

Now, to get a second Yamaha R-S202 to replace the one I just usurped.

Quote Originally Posted by Random View Post
    That seems like a pretty healthy low end spec for bookshelf speakers. I'll be interested to hear your review.
    The speakers arrived Friday as promised. They're larger (deeper, mostly, which is a good thing) than I expected and look good. Sealed cabinets. No ports. Just two inputs for bare speaker wire, or banana plugs, maybe, if those are even still a thing.

I connected all the stereo gear for the first time on Saturday and, amid cries of "Dad, turn it down!" from my children and wife, enjoyed them all weekend with cassettes and CDs. The turntable may need a little TLC before it works properly. It's programmable and has an automatic tonearm that moves back and forth on a belt, rather than being one you can just lift and drop by hand. I'll spare my usual speech here about needless complexity here, but at great personal effort.

But, I definitely have no regrets about the speakers. They're nice, and especially for how little they cost.

Here's a live action picture of me listening to some old (but still good-sounding) cassettes in the basement this weekend:

I was going to make a "Dad, what's a cassette?" joke.

But, my kids won't even know what CD's are. We haven't owned any physical music for years.
    (Actually, I think we have a box of CD's in storage.)