Page 6 of 21 FirstFirst ... 4567816 ... LastLast

Thread: Low, or lower-end audio. Or middle. But not high.

Logitech has been making some kick-ass computer speakers for a while now - glad you're happy with 'em!

My wife and kids are out of town right now. That's important because I can move stuff around and experiment with stuff without anyone bothering me or the stuff.

I have never liked the thin and tinny sound from our non-smart HDTV. We plan to make some changes in the room where it is later this summer. Then it will finally be time to get a proper sound system that can accept the new digital audio output from the HDTV.

I also have my parents' 1990s home stereo with surround sound and whatever else was cool back then, but of course it won't connect to the HDTV, even as a temporary thing. Damned planned obsolescence...

We have a Roku 3 box plugged into the HDTV to get Netflix, YouTube, etc. Last night, I picked up the Roku remote for the first time in ages. It was nice to sit down and watch something I wanted to watch without anyone yelling for Spongebob or whatever. And that Roku remote is really cool. I had forgotten it even has a headphone jack on the remote where you can plug in headphones...

...or run a stereo cable from the remote's headphone jack to the AUX INs of the '90s receiver!

This is gonna be fun. Temporary, sure. And I know it will only work with Roku, not for cable TV or local broadcast TV. But, still, fun.

Signed,

Easily Impressed

You could have done it at night, when they were in bed.

When we replace our broken HDTV, I'd like to get a sound bar for it. I don't like the built-it speakers either, especially with today's ultrathin tvs. But, it's not the movie screen and doesn't need the full surround setup. I'm a little concerned about the wireless surround though. It seems like there'd be a delay.

I never uploaded a pic of my new center channel speaker. Quite a difference.
    center1.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    I also have my parents' 1990s home stereo with surround sound and whatever else was cool back then, but of course it won't connect to the HDTV, even as a temporary thing. Damned planned obsolescence...
    Why not? Most TVs have RCA audio out - any receiver back to the '80s should have RCA in.

Low-end HDTV, maybe? It has digital sound output only, though. I've checked. I can plug a VCR into the TV with analog inputs, but there are no analog outputs - only HDMI and the little square hole for digital, if I remember correctly.

I'm going to be painting some interior walls this weekend and it will be nice to stream my favorite bands from YouTube concert videos or the live music collection at https://archive.org/details/etree via Roku. I never do that with just the TV only because the sound sucks. Our main floor is currently a "sound desert" in that regard, but that will change for the better later this year.
    Last edited by George; July 6th, 2017 at 09:43 AM.

Surely somebody makes a TOSlink to RCA adapter.

Thanks. I swear I looked for those when I first got the TV and was scared off by multi-hundred-dollar preamps that, by themselves, cost far more than a typical soundbar + subwoofer. I'm pretty sure you guys told me I was SOL as well, but maybe I'm mistaken.

Of course, my parents hadn't yet moved and given me their old gear, so maybe I wasn't as motivated to find a way to put the two together. I've been using various adapters like that one forever while messing with electric guitars and home recording, but it was mostly one size to another size, or splitting a mono signal into stereo or dual-mono or vice-versa.

I'll have to check out my options here. If I do end up somehow rigging the 20th century audio with the 21st century video, I'll also need to figure out why a surround sound home theatre receiver doesn't have a subwoofer output.

How old is the receiver? Mainstream X.1/X.2 receivers are probably only 15 years old or so. I seem to recall it was around Y2K I bought my first 5.1 receiver - it was a $200 (IIRC) JVC unit, which was a refurb and extraordinarily cheap for 5.1. What I had before that was a 3-channel (L/C/R) Kenwood from the mid '90s.

It's not the end of the world, most decent active subwoofers will actually have a built in crossover, so you can wire RCA to them and they will split channels out. That's not a great solution since they won't do audio decoding, but if the receiver doesn't have an LFE output it's not doing any of that decoding anyway. At some point, you're better off just buying a modern receiver or HTIB solution.

Quote Originally Posted by thesameguy View Post
    At some point, you're better off just buying a modern receiver or HTIB solution.
    Agreed. That has been our plan all along. All this from today is just me thinking about hooking stuff up that I already own, with a decidedly low-end attitude.

Unrelated to my situation, here's a link I found elsewhere that some may find interesting. I make no claims or endorsements, just passing it along: http://www.accessories4less.com/make...ceivers/1.html