Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: NASCAR Has Lost its Goddamn Mind

The guy that did it (Ross Chastain), it vaulted him into the Final 4 for the championship. Thus he gained an advantage by doing it. And good for him.

To get into the NASCAR playoffs, I believe that if you win a race you are automatically in no matter where you are in the standings. Thus I could see a lower level team doing it to win a race to then get into the playoffs.

Junior Potato
    The move has precedent:

https://youtu.be/oPIi_72bDX4

But as you see it didn’t work too well at Darlington. Martinsville feels like the only place it would work; the high speed and short time against the wall lends itself well, whereas trying to wall ride at a 1.5 miler won’t.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    What bums me out is that now people wallriding in online racing will claim "it's realistic, I can do it"
    People were giving it a shot in iRacing this week. Apparently in Cup cars it works, but not in Trucks or Xfinity.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Watched highlights of the COTA race... Why is the racing etiquette so darn low?
    acket.

Because the cars will mostly survive and no one is getting reprimanded by the series.

Junior Potato
    NASCAR is the motorsport embodiment of American-style FREEDOM where you can drive anywhere and hit anything, so long as it doesn’t slow you down.

There is no time for etiquette in NASCAR, and one should not expect there to be any. Once this is accepted and understood, then one’s enjoyment of watching it will increase.

NASCAR’s only failure here is going to a track where the modern idea of track limits with luxuriously wide paved runoff areas can be completely ignored. They should stick to old school tracks with unpaved areas right up to the racing surface, like Sonoma and Watkins Glen and Road America.

Would be fun to see them at VIR and Road Atlanta. Kinda surprised they don't have races at those Southern tracks. Even Barber would be good. Or even Sebring.

I think they do run a Daytona in field race where they have to respect the limits.

RAtl would be fucking rad

Pfft...there would be more cars in the dirt than on the track.

That's what happens when you have rednecks that don't know car spacing....

Administrator
    I finally got around to watching the COTA Nascar race. I did like that one of the announcers balked at them throwing a yellow over all the dirt at T9, I think it was. Something like "well, they keep dragging all that dirt on the track, make 'em deal with it."

I figure eventually they'll end up with a bunch of those big concrete blocks at corner apex like Laguna has. When I went there for Skip Barber, they said they were installed specifically to keep people from cutting the apex and dragging dirt on the track. I know there were a couple of them at COTA as well, but I imagine at some point they'll be at every corner, just waiting to break your suspension if you get too greedy.