Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Krunchy Mazdaspeed 3 + The Plan

They offered heavily discounted oil changes as a deal to get people, then didn't put enough oil in and over-tightened everything.

Also during some "test drive a car and get a gift card" thing I drove another Mazdaspeed 3 they had and assured me they had looked it over and it was stock. Except that it had a boost gauge on the A-pillar and the check engine light was on.

Dealers are usually pretty expensive for most things other than the oil change special. Can we help find you a good indy mechanic? There has to be one around. I realize that doesn't really solve your near-term troubles.

So you basically need to swap in another engine or abandon ship and get a different car? Or is this engine fixable?

Abandoning ship. One of the techs is building a frankencar (Mazdaspeed 6 wagon) and offered to buy it for parts, likely just going to do that.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Sorry to hear about the Mazda ! It only takes one little mistake sometimes to lose an engine.

I felt pretty foolish after I "restyled" my RX-7 against a barrier, but best not to be too hard on oneself in these situations I think. Dunno what the best value you can get from what's left is.

Maybe look for a car that's low-value enough that you won't worry too much about it, but still has some character, like an old Civic or MX-5 or something? Good luck.

I'm considering getting something I can finance with a low payment, and then selling it in the spring. Effectively a three month rental, for much less than monthly rentals cost.

Creativity skills. I'm so simple-minded I tend to just find cheap cars to pay cash for.

Good to hear you'll get something back from the car, presumably a fairly easy 'sale', and parts of it will live on in a cool project.

That is also an option. There are a lot of moving parts that I'm trying to juggle. I realized today that there is a Hertz just a mile walk from me, so that might be my best short term solution.

Possibly, particularly if you don't have to drive much for the next while.

Buying a cheap old car is a risk... I put a lot of effort into sniffing out the good (less bad?) ones to hopefully not end up with big or endless repairs. I do the vast majority of work myself on my cars (this is me) and I'm a little OCD about their cleanliness and presentation, so if I have something less than 3 years it tends to have retained its value pretty well. It also helps I often buy cars at or near the bottom of their depreciation curve. The cool part about doing it this way is I've gotten to own and experience a lot of cool cars without losing much money on them. Or maybe even break even sometimes (not counting insurance or fuel).

I don't gather that car work is your favorite thing, so the few-month payment idea might be a good option for you on a newer car if the numbers work all the way through to the sale.

Car is sold.