Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Singularity (The A.I. Thread)

Singularity (The A.I. Thread)

Thought we already had one of these threads here? Hmm. #shrug

Quote Originally Posted by Wikipedia.org
    The technological singularity (also, simply, the singularity) is the hypothesis that the invention of artificial superintelligence will abruptly trigger runaway technological growth, resulting in unfathomable changes to human civilization.
    WaitButWhy.com has a great write-up on the coming AI Revolution.

::

1/10/2017: Humans fold as AI comes up aces in poker competition

Quote Originally Posted by Mashable.com
    Libratus is also the first game-playing AI that did not observe human players to learn its game. “We gave it the rules of the game and we had the bot play against itself, starting from scratch.” Ultimately Libratus played trillions of hands before facing its first human opponent.

What may be even more remarkable about Libratus’s historic win is that the computer behind it wasn’t even running at full capacity. With over 19 million core hours of computing and 2,600 terabytes of generated data, the tournament only used 46 percent of Bridges’s computational capacity, said Nick Nystrom, PSC’s senior director of research on Tuesday. While Libratus was besting four poker pros, the rest of the supercomputer was working on other problems like finding new cures for cancer and investigating next-gen nuclear power.

“The algorithms are actually game-independent,” said Professor Sandholm, adding that the AI’s ability to take any imperfect situation and output a strategy has implications for everything from negotiation and bargaining to military uses and some forms of finance.
    Thoughts?

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    Thought we already had one of these threads here? Hmm. #shrug
    it became too self-aware and deleted itself before more info could spread..............maybe

It used to be a scary thing to think about it. Now I welcome it with open arms. Only IT can save us from the path we're on now.

I'm in the 'I'm excited' camp. Seeing the changes that data on demand has made the concept of intelligence on demand is awesome.

I freaking love this YouTube channel ...

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    acket.

True AI would be as if we're being visited by an alien race being at least equally as smart as humans. Even assuming this new AI race won't go evil/crazy as humans sometimes do, as they become technologically advanced enough, why would they continue to remain as slaves to human?

Best case scenario is that this super just and righteous ai will rule over as God trying to protect and correct/fix humanity.

The Fifth Industrial revolution. It has the capacity to better our lives a great deal, but it's also going to misplace a lot of workers, and how to meaningfully utilize these people, and also not end up with a ever increasing disparity in wealth will be the keys.

Expert daydreamer SkylineObsession's Avatar
    I still strongly, and genuinely, believe that the events in these movies will eventually happen.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    so what's everyone's thought of the most accurate portrayal of A.I. in TV/Movies?

And please no one say "Transcendence", not because it's possibly inaccurate, but because that movie sucked