Thread: Photo printing?

Photo printing?

Now that I'm looking to move over to actually printing my photos, I'm finding that I'm woefully uneducated in this area.

So what is the current hot-ticket as far as printing technologies go? I think to start I am going to use a printing service before I drop a bunch of cash on a printer of my own.

Looking around the internet, the consensus seems to be that a good inkjet printer tends to give the best results. I just got a photo printed off at 12x18" at the local photo place, and frankly I'm just not happy with the results. The colors are a little washed out, the blacks just aren't black enough... Bleh. It's not doing the photos justice. Is it just this photo lab, or are chemical printing processes generally sub-par compared with inkjets?

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Make sure to check the shop's subtrate catalog. Paper makes a big difference on contrast and while there are generalities it really depends on the process and printers used. You do want to know how a certain finish and weight looks from your local printer service.
    acket.

I suggest you use an online service. Good cost to quality ratio. However, I have never used one. We have a colour laser that is good enough for home use. If I wanted to print my photos to be put in a gallery, I would certainly go with an online service. Make sure you check reviews and get a good one.

Can they ship directly to people other than me? My concern would be the length of time it would take them to send a print to me, and then for me to re-ship that to someone else.

Whoops, I guess I should clarify, most of this printing will be done for the purpose of sales to other people.

Junior Potato
    I happen to work for an electronics/furniture retailer who has photo printing available. All of the prints I do there come out just fine, maybe with even deeper blacks and brighter colours than what I was expecting based on what I see on my computer.

They use a bloody big machine that you would never see in anyone's home office. Like proper professional printing setup with high quality gloss or matte paper. It's definitely very very superior to a home photo printer that you can pick up for a few hundred bucks.

I'm guessing either the place you went to hasn't got it set up properly, or your photos aren't adjusted properly.

Gimme a sec, when I get home I'll take a few shots of both types of photos that I happen to have available so that you can see what I mean.