Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: The Legend of Zelda (Spoilers)

Blindly responding to the thread to say that I love this game so far. Especially nice having a good long-term use for my WiiU finally. And unlike Windwaker HD, I can actually play it *just* on the gamepad.

-------- vague Great Plateau talk and other impressions below -------

Coming from someone who has played very little Dark Souls (but has seen a ton of it)... I can't help but say that this game has that feel to it. It's difficult (obviously not as difficult as DS) and rewards/punishes based on timing and picking your battles.

Combat feels good and deliberate and gives you lots of options. I'm particularly fond of rolling bombs down a hill. I've managed to sync it with some explosive barrels and taken out a group of 5 or 6. The rag-dolling from those explosions is hilarious.

The game doesn't hold your hand either. It just puts out suggestions... want to go to that cold area but don't have clothes? Oh look, this fire is warm. Maybe cook something warm, too? Oh look, here's some spicy peppers.

Also, speaking of, I friggin' love the cooking mechanic.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Last edited by GreatScawt; March 7th, 2017 at 07:14 AM.

Junior Potato
    Another little tippy-dip, this time regarding some forgotten contents of the Sheikah Slate:

Spoiler:
    There is a photo album of lost memories in the slate. I noticed that when you unlock them, the Sheikah text accompanying each photo is actually written in English, and changes to our familiar Latin alphabet.

You can actually translate the text yourself, which will give you a location that you can look for in the map. I translated the ones I hadn't found yet and managed to spot one location in the map and unlock another one

Click the following Link to see an image of the ancient Sheikah text along with Latin alpahabet conversions.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    I hope what happened to me happens to you, because it's SO COOL

(or maybe it happens elsewhere also, I've only unlocked a couple zones so far, so it might be old hat for you )
    I saw what you saw!

Not from the bridge, but from the plateau. I had to stand in awe, but from a few KM away. Must've been cool to discover it up close.

Junior Potato
    Looky what I found!

Now to do that thing you have to do to get it.

Spoiler:

Junior Potato
    I'm starting to find some pretty sweet weapons. There's a nicely challenging shrine:

Spoiler:
    Up on a tall cliff overlooking a bay to the south-east, inside is A Moderate Test Of Strength with some nice weapon drops. Do this first because you'll need them for the next one.

In the bay itself there's another shrine on a tiny island way out in the water. It's possible to get there if you have extra stamina and fly from that tall cliff.

Inside the shrine you'll be presented with A Major Test Of Strength (eeek!). If you can stomach it there's a Guardian Sentry with 3000hp waiting for you, so be stocked up on shock arrows for distance work, and be ready for some heavy sword swinging up close. Move quickly and time your attacks. Towards the end it'll charge up a massive blast, so when it does that it's time for you to rush in and chop it with your biggest blade.

When you defeat it the sentry will drop a Guardian Sword++, an Ancient Battle Axe++ and a Guardian Spear++.

And you'll get one Spirit Orb.

Junior Potato
    lol

The world of the realm of the kingdom of Ja Rule.

Junior Potato
    I chose what I felt was an awesome name for my new horse.

But then this happened...

I've never felt so let down in my life

Junior Potato

I've been putting so many god damn hours into this thing.

The entirety of Hyrule is amazing. It's fascinating how the very land itself becomes an inviting challenge all on its own - something that no GTA or FarCry or RDR has managed to achieve. Sometimes there are hints of things that you can go off and do at any moment with something as utterly simple as a curiously placed rock or a distant tree off all by itself.

Then there's the map.

I'll look at the map and go "what the fuck's that?" and just have to take off in that direction. There's a spot on the map that I've seen that juts north out of the Gerudo Desert (I've unlocked the map portion but I haven't scratched the surface of the region yet) that shows a deep crevice to nowhere, but there's definitely a something at the end of it. Will the crevice be filled with monsters? A cool and interesting climb? What about just some freaking good scenery for the hell of it? You never know what this game is going to throw at you.

The thing that's really awesome about the map, imo, is that you can go literally everywhere. If you have enough stamina, you can climb just about anything. If you have the right gear/stamina, you can even swim everywhere. And everywhere you go there's something going on. It's not always full of activity, but you damned well know the game designers put *something* there.

Notes:
    - Do the sidequests, some have insanely helpful prizes
    - Stamina and Stealth make the game incredibly different, also climbing gear helps a lot in getting around certain foes/areas. I rarely ever fight anything because I either sneak around, or climb around.
    - Speaking of sneak (hat tip to Keith for this) sneak attacks are awesome. I use them along with dropping from the air to gain an advantage on foes that might otherwise give me hell.
    - That being said... Fuck Lynels.
    - Also fuck Guardians.
    - Camera mode is fun... but even more fun is that you can take selfies... and make ridiculous poses. I'm thinking of photobombing everything I put in the Linkedex.

Junior Potato
    Yeah I've got a few really dumb photos of swords and monsters in there. It's too bad that you can't export said photos to the system menu.