Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Legend of Zelda (Spoilers)

Quote Originally Posted by Rare White Ape View Post
    Eurogamer talks about BotW and how it fits in the pantheon of ambitious large scale PC fantasy titles.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/20...-from-pc-games
    Quote Originally Posted by Eurogamer
    The measure of success for a Ubisoft open world is how long it takes for the premise to wear thin enough that you can see the project management software beneath.
    This is true, Ghost Recon: Wildlands also feels like this but the actual action is fun enough for the non-Zelda playing peeps.

We're benighted, we don't know what we're missing.

Junior Potato
    Quote Originally Posted by Jason View Post
    If it makes you feel any better, I had a really slow week at work, so I got quite a bit of farming/exploring done. Also, you are probably further along in the quest than I am, I know Keith is. I spend a lot of time just climbing around and seeing places I haven't been to yet. This world is filled with ... stuff.
    Main quest-wise, I've unlocked the 12 lost memories from the Sheik-a-dex and have done the Goron and Zora divine beasts, currently doing the Gerudo one whilst knocking over a few side quests (two of which take you over the frosty and remote Gerudo highlands in exchange for shoes - epic only begins to describe it).

Side mission-wise I've opened up all but the very north-west part of the map, done two sneaky stealth missions into Hyrule Castle for loot, done 40 shrines, captured near-on 50% of the Hyrule compendium, and found about 30-40 Koroks.

I wasted a whole day-and-a-half investigating Mt Satori. But "wasted" is a loose term. Everyone should visit Mr Satoru. Umm, I mean Mt Satori. You'll join the dots. It's worth it.

My new favourite thing is to fast travel less and actually trek across the countryside more. Maybe travel to towers only, then walk to my destination instead of just picking the closest shrine, unless you're making multiple trips to the same place for a single quest. Could prove to be interesting.

Ganon defeated

RE: end game save

Spoiler:
    It autosaves just before you enter the final battle, and then that last autosave is updated with a star afterwards. You load it back up and have all the stuff you had before you went in. Haven't tried to beat it a second time to see if you get a second star. I *might* try and at least get every memory and try it again.

RE: final battle

Spoiler:
    I was really getting frustrated when he was glowing red and bomb arrows weren't doing shit, I was getting no clues, so I just played defense and realized what I could do. Was "easy" after that.
    Last edited by Kchrpm; March 19th, 2017 at 04:51 PM.

WHATEVER KEITH

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    Ganon defeated
    So what do you think?? Great game -- or greatest game?

Greatest game. Playing Wildlands is *so* frustrating afterwards. You can go almost anywhere from almost any direction, and there's something useful or cool any place you go. If I need to go long distances, I can fast travel, or grab a horse and just deal with speed and forks in the road, because the horses follow the trail automatically.

It has more freedom of movement than any game I've played before (but I haven't played Just Cause). The map is gigantic and varied. The enemies, not just the mini-bosses, can be tough by themselves, and then you'll run into a group of several of them. You have a great amount of freedom in how you approach every fight, though, from weapon types, the powers you have and all of the environmental things you can do.

There are so many things on the surface, so many things just below the surface, and even more things hiding deeper for you to discover or create on your own. You choose your own path, your own build, your own story depth, your own fighting style, your own clothing style (you can get special items to provide similar benefits to most clothes, so you don't need specific clothes much; also you can dye your clothes different colors).

Is it the greatest story ever? No, not even close. And the way it's told is tough because it's, by design of the game, non-linear and up to you to discover. But they still tried to assign more depth and emotion than I've seen in any previous Zelda.

Now that I beat the final boss, I've gone back in and plan on just exploring and completing memory, side, and shrine quests. There are so many areas that I barely touched, or didn't go to all. After beating the game last night I spent a few hours exploring new areas, finding new quests, talking to more people. And practicing better battle techniques after things I received/learned on the path to the final victory.

All on a system I can take with me practically anywhere.

It's going to be really tough for any other game to compete going forward. Letting me drive and fly vehicles with shitty physics, forcing me to run all the way around to a funnel just because there's a chain link fence and my super soldier/spy/criminal doesn't have wire cutters, not being able to hop over waist high railing.

That reminds me, I took a game clip in Wildlands over the weekend after you got offline. Phil and I were on a mission, and I was coming down from overwatch. I couldn't just glide/parachute down, so I had to hump the rocks down to a wooden walkway between rock ridges. On my last jump, I landed in between the rock ridge and the walkway. I could not get out. I couldn't hop over a waist high wooden railing, because the game hadn't assigned them as climbable. I was stuck.
    Get that weak shit off my track

That's something that's been incredibly refreshing after playing FFXV. You have this big open world, 4 bros who work so well together... but they can't figure out how to get up really easy climbing paths together (or hell, on their own) because the developers make it an invisible barrier. Which also tells me, that even if I could climb said rock, there's no point, it's just there to make the game look more varied/larger. In BotW you can get almost anywhere AND there's probably something there, and if there's not something there, it can at least maybe help you get to the next helpful/useful spot.

Heh that's how I felt after Morrowind. ♡

Before you broke it?

Even though I beat the game, I'm still only 20.84% complete Apparently every complete-able thing carries the same weight, though, so 800+ Korok seeds I haven't found are weighing me down!
    Get that weak shit off my track