Page 31 of 42 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Take This Job and Shove It

Yeah, I don't think I ever suffered from impostor syndrome. I think that is an indicator of a larger issue. Maybe low self-esteem? I don't know. I am not a shrink. There is a fine line between being confident in what you are capable of and being cocky.

Administrator
    Oh yeah, it's definitely tied into self esteem.

I think there might also be another element at work..., which is the more you know, the more you realize that there's still a LOT that you don't really know.

Especially when it comes to climate change. There's still a LOT we don't know about it. Every climate scientist is a pioneer in this field and at the same time kind of an imposter! Unless you know it with absolute certainty, I think imposter syndrome is just unavoidable... and IMHO, I think it's a healthy attitude to have... as long as it doesn't make you so unsure of yourself that you end up quitting advancing your work/cause. Perhaps a better and more political correct word to use for imposter syndrome would be 'humility'?

Administrator
    Nope, it's very different than that. It's this feeling like at any moment, everyone is going to figure out that you're a fraud. That, after 22 years of doing software engineering, someone's about to figure out that I have no idea what I'm doing.

My conscious brain knows that I know my job. I interview people who are supposed to be as senior as me doing the same interview I did and they can't finish it. I've never had a bad review. Nonetheless, every morning is this dread that I'm going to go into a status meeting and someone's going to say "You don't know how to do your job, do you?"

I felt the same way for years and kept getting promoted. I keep waiting for the annual review that exposes me.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    In the case of academics, you're in fear someone is going to read your article and go: this is bullshit! "you're misreading your sources" or "that's not what the data suggests".

And then you spend extra hours going over your draft to make sure nobody "can expose" you as the fraud that you surely are.
    acket.

Yeah, so I think it’s probably somewhat beneficial to have this so called imposter syndrome…, as long as it’s not paralyzing you in fear, it can only serve you to drive you to be better, right?

I’m think what Swervo described was almost like having a ‘waking’ standing in the public while naked dream! At least that’s how you feel while conscious mind couldn’t understand why or doesn’t agree…

Anyway, I don’t think I suffer from imposters syndrome as severely as Swervo, but I have had bad interviews. So perhaps it’s similar to dodint’s situation? Your subconscious mind just cannot believe you are that good at nailing interviews so it’s making you feel that way to ‘humble’ you? I don’t know, not a psychologist, just trying to play Carl Jung!

In dodint’s case, it’d definitely be more dangerous for a person to actually feel like he deserved all the promotions he got and that he is a know it all… I would not want to work for such a boss. I’d rather work for someone who’s afraid that he might be an imposter. Of course, I don’t really want to work for a true imposter like Elizabeth Holms too of course!
    Last edited by Crazed_Insanity; January 21st, 2022 at 07:41 AM.

Administrator
    We have a system at work where your bonus amount is basically described in your offer letter, in my case it's 10% of my salary. If you hit your goals for the year (which are weird and amorphous, mine were mostly "read these books" and nobody tested me that I did or anything), you get that. I got it, which is great. My boss talked about how he made sure I got it, etc etc. Happy with that.

He had previously said he was trying to get me a promotion and talked a fair bit about that. He kinda glossed over that part when he talked about the bonus, then I got an automated email saying no promotion and a cost-of-living raise. I think I know what's going on, in the past month or so he's suddenly started talking about how I need to put myself out there more, become more visible, yadda yadda. Problem is, the main reason I got into software engineering is the same reason I got into stagecrew when I became part of the drama program in school. I don't want to put myself out there. I'd rather a job where the only reason you really know I'm around is because I fucked up. If I do a good job, things just go smoothly. Still - it's a little tough when your boss basically tells you've been doing a great job and then an automated email tells you that the company doesn't seem to fully agree there.

So, looks like this is a dead-end job unless I suddenly become a massive extrovert. The nice bonus and the RSUs they're giving me are a pretty strong retention tool, they are nice, but it seems like unless I change my whole persona, that's as far as that goes. I don't want to give big presentations in front of the entire company. I'm an introverted nerd, that's why I got into computers. People who like public speaking aren't the type to be typing assembly into their Apple ][s when they're 8 years old to figure out how to hax0r Ultima 5 so you don't have to keep finding food.
    Last edited by Tom Servo; February 16th, 2022 at 03:26 PM.

Só Califórnia strikes again eh?

Corporate culture, actually our entire social hierarchy typically rewards extroverts.

Pretty much all the famous introverts will need to have some mad skills like Einstein or start your own company like Bill Gates.

After being an introvert for most of my life, I’m contemplating whether to become a mad engineer or try to become more extroverted or maybe start my own company or I can just keep on hiding in my comfortable dead end job…