Page 11 of 46 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Take This Job and Shove It

They actually have a job listings page on their site, I've checked it out before http://prattmiller.com/careers
    Get that weak shit off my track

Nothing like being in a meeting with a superior when the mention of "liability" is made when something went down and you aren't even in the room when something happened. Nor did you have any control over what happened.

I have the suspicion my days are limited here and I'll become a fall boy.

Liability mentioned in the healthcare sector? That never happens...

Anyone have experience working on an assembly line? It wouldn't be my first choice but its with Honda Canada at the plant that builds Civics. 1/3 of their 4200 employee workforce will be retiring in the next 2 years so they are recruiting actively. What I really want to be doing is a skilled trade of some sort and Honda has in-house apprenticeships for millwrighting, electrical and tool and die maintenance. I'm trying to decide if I can handle a couple of years slapping auto parts together until I can get into one of their apprenticeship programs. I've applied directly to mechanical and electrical contractors but I don't think any of them are interested in taking on a 37 year old apprentice coming from an office/desk-job background.

Nothing on that scale. I have worked on Ford brake part assemblies but it was a really small, manual line.

I will say that I went to a leadership summit in 2015 with some low level managers from Toyota and they really liked working in that environment. If you think you have to do a few years of the small stuff to break into something you'll enjoy for a career I think it's worth doing. That was the military for me, a means to an end.

I've had friends who worked at CAMI in Ingersoll, and also at General Dynamics here in London. It's monotonous and in some cases boring, depending on which task you're on, but yeah, if you can apprentice on one of the more worthwhile jobs, then I would say it's entirely worth it. The pay and benefits will be outstanding too, which is the big plus. Alliston is a beautiful area.

So... the operations manager they hired six months ago seems to be leaving.

This place is now feeling like corporate wants to lose the contract.

My old office job, which I have been doing 1 or 2 (generally 1) day a week work there still, keeps giving me hints that they want me back there more.

I'm like yeah nah, I don't need that level of stress / atmosphere in my life

I ended up turning down the Honda Manufacturing gig. Its a 75 minute commute each way and the shifts that run are very hard to work a personal life around. They do 6:30-3 'day' shift and then a 4-1:30 'afternoon' shift. And I could handle being on one or the other, but with Honda you have a 2 week rotation. Plus it meant taking a job that I didn't really want for the slim possibility of getting the job I actually DO want.

I've been sending out applications all over the place and I finally got a call today from the nuclear plant for an electrical apprenticeship. Its a long shot since I don't have much relevant experience but I'm hopeful that I can use my sales skills to sell myself to the hiring panel.

Yeah, that sounds like a tough work/life situation there. Good call, and good luck!