Page 26 of 42 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: Take This Job and Shove It

Yeah, unless there’s a clear case of discrimination or wrongdoing, it’s almost not worth it to figure out why you got dumped... just as romantic relationships too... I’d naturally want to know why I got dumped, but in reality it doesn’t really matter... so what if I figured it out? I got dumped, it sucks, but gotta move on. No need to waste anymore energy on somebody or some company who don’t appreciate or respect you...

Administrator
    I mainly want more severance. I got 1/3 the going rate during Covid for my industry despite this supposedly not being based at all on my performance or anything else that I personally had done.

Speaking of, had a call with HR. Had a few basic questions, one of which got a non-answer, the other two (like "how do I come in and pick up my stuff?") got a "oh, we'll put you on an email thread about that." There were only like 10 of us that got let go, why weren't we just put on that thread to begin with? Asked about room for increasing severance, got "I'll pass that request up the chain". Meh.

Sorry to hear it, man. I hope you find something better soon.

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    There are some industries and companies that are thriving in the pandemic, and many/most companies need stronger digital/data/cloud/etc solutions. Fingers crossed for you.
    Bankruptcy lawyers about to make a killing.

Quote Originally Posted by Tom Servo View Post
    The age range of people let go did skew older, but probably not enough to make an obvious case of age discrimination. By law they had to give us a list of all the people grouped by title and age that were considered, and then who was let go.
    They gave you the ages of your colleagues? It seems like that in itself is somehow discriminatory...or something. Maybe discriminatory isn't the right word, but it's a violation of people's privacy.

Personally, I wouldn't care, but I can imagine some might object to having their ages distributed on a list around the company.

*** Long, rambling story deleted***

Good luck, Tom. You'll be out of the fire and back into the frying pan in no time.
    Last edited by George; September 29th, 2020 at 06:38 PM.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    They gave you the ages of your colleagues? It seems like that in itself is somehow discriminatory...or something. Maybe discriminatory isn't the right word, but it's a violation of people's privacy.

Personally, I wouldn't care, but I can imagine some might object to having their ages distributed on a list around the company.
    It was aggregated. E.g., "10 Senior Software Engineers were aged 37 years old, 1 of them was selected for termination, 9 were not, 7 Senior Software Engineers were aged 38 years old, none were selected", so no names. It does appear to be a legally mandated thing, if memory serves it's "in accordance with the Older Worker's Protection Act".

On the downside, there was only one person with one title that was both considered and terminated, so we know exactly how old he is.

And thanks, I hope so!
    Last edited by Tom Servo; September 29th, 2020 at 05:48 PM.

Administrator
    The more I think about it, the more I realize some people's ages were exposed. There was a list of 8 software architects' ages, but only one architect was gone, so now I know exactly how old he is.

This Friday will be my last day at a Toyota dealer. Got a new job as maintenance crew at a mushroom farm that's about to reopen after a large national company bought the site.
    Starting Monday, will be a lot of cleaning up and preparation to get things underway. Should be fun.
    I'll be glad to get away from the constant bulletins, changing of processes, a GM who we nicknamed The Undertaker due to his very negative outlook on everything and just general crap that goes on in a dealership workshop.

I occasionally miss my time at the dealership. It is a fun place to work, but people get all bent up about things that aren't really a big deal.

Administrator
    I am about to go into a 5 hour, 15 minute interview, basically a long grilling session, that I am very much not looking forward to. My impostor syndrome is kicking in hard and I'm trying to keep it at bay. I'm reminding myself that at least I'm not Jeffrey Toobin right now.