Page 1 of 42 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Take This Job and Shove It

Take This Job and Shove It

The other Job thread was way too celebratory for the kind of vibe I'm about to set off, so I figured I'd make my own bitch session:

I was hired to my current job on a job description that does not match the Position Description. It's not even close. I was hired to do network scanning and I'm actually a full blown Information Security Officer responsible for all facets of InfoSec issues, our network scanning duties are actually contracted out to a defense contractor, we don't even have access. I work as one member of a virtual team, so I'm the only one at my physical location doing this. There are about 20 of us spread around the country covering all of my agencies locations.
    My point being that I showed up here already over my head, but fine. I'm smart, I'll learn.

My primary location is Pittsburgh, I also have a primary location of St. Paul that I need to visit once a week every quarter. Additionally I also back up a counterpart in Cincy, Buffalo, Detroit, Huntington WV, and Louisville. It's a heavy workload for an inexperienced new person, but I'll deal and be a very well rounded security professional here in about 2 years.

Found out today that because my counterpart in some of those locations was promoted to a team lead position, I will be the primary at Cincy, Huntington, and Louisville as well. As far as I know I've not been assigned a backup. Technically I'm supposed to visit all of those sites for a week every quarter. What has me a little steamed about it is that I found this out from a customer today, not from anyone in my supervisory chain.

Not impressed.

Anyone else want to vent?

Other than this snafu I love my work.

My job is just kinda boring.

Other than that I love it too.

Surprise duties!

I "have" a contract extension... only there's no sig from the client. So... do they want me or what??

Mind you, the department I'm currently working in gets liquidated tomorrow.

The company I work for has been around for seventy years. The owners are a pair of brothers in their mid-late 60s, their dad is still there everyday working outside and driving a forklift and he is in his late 80s. The company was started by his father, who just passed away three years ago at the age of 114. Out of all the children of the brothers only one works for the company and he doesn't seem like he has the drive to keep things going if something should happen to his dad/uncle. Our deliveries are down both in the amount of stops, number of items ordered and total weights of each truck.
    When I started there almost three years ago an average total weight of all routes would be 50-60k lbs spread across twelve trucks and closer to 75k on a Friday. Now the usual Friday weight is somewhere between 50-55k and a typical weekday is ~35k. Today's weight was 31k spread across eight trucks. We have one full time salesperson who covers an area that goes from Chicago to Fort Wayne, IN(W-E) and Grand Rapids, MI to Kokomo, IN(N-S). Our inside sales department is two full time sales ladies and three others who do phone sales as well as other duties.
    I sure as shit hope things start picking up.
    On the upside, it seems that taking another route to help out when a driver calls off/on-call driver(who is supposed to fill in for a call off) won't answer their phone pays off when the boss stops you on the way out, shakes your hand and says you're getting a raise. That's somewhat of a silver lining.

Quote Originally Posted by novicius View Post
    I "have" a contract extension... only there's no sig from the client. So... do they want me or what??

Mind you, the department I'm currently working in gets liquidated tomorrow.
    Hey-hey, this thread works: my contract was renewed this afternoon!

Hey, this is supposed to be a negative angry venting thread! No celebratory stuff please! Congrats anyways...

I'd say "Billy/i, go fuck yourself", but, nah, not now.

My job presents daily frustrations. Really disliking it right now. Project ends this month. Don't know if I'll have work after. If we buy a home with a shop, I'll be doing woodworking full-time... maybe.

I have a great job for a great company and work with great people doing great things.
    Everything is great.

Quote Originally Posted by balki View Post
    I have a great job for a great company and work with great people doing great things.
    Everything is great.
    These remarks were posted online by the alleged perpetrator the day before going on a shooting spree at his employer. His neighbors were all quoted as saying "He was a quiet man."