Page 12 of 42 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: Take This Job and Shove It

I have two leads to follow now. The girl who cuts my hair has a husband who is a stonemason and she mentioned that his company is looking for someone too. I know her husband (not well though) and he said he'd put in a good word for me. Not sure which way I'm leaning between electrician and stonemason. Electrician pays slightly better (not significantly) but I like the aspect of being able to see what I've done at the end of the day which would be the case with masonry. There are a lot more electricians around than stonemasons which is another factor to consider.
    Last edited by shakes; March 12th, 2018 at 01:07 PM.

I would think masonry would be a mostly seasonal job too, no? That could be fun, if the finances work right for you.

A former coworker of mine was an electrician for a while. He said it was pretty tough sometimes during the winter. For example, sometimes he would have to work outside for extended periods on things that needed the fine motor skills of bare hands.

Quote Originally Posted by tigeraid View Post
    I would think masonry would be a mostly seasonal job too, no? That could be fun, if the finances work right for you.
    Masonry can be done in the winter provided the customer is willing to pay extra for heating the workspace. The company that I'm looking joining worked all winter long this year, but I think that was a combination of well-heeled customers AND global warming.

I was laid off from my QC manager position at the mortgage company I work at. And it is difficult to find a QC manager role within a mortgage company, since there's only one position at each company. So for the time being I took a lower role at my former company just to make it by. Hopefully I can find something better within the next few months because taking this big of a pay cut is really going to hurt. We were still trying to rebuild our savings account after moving across the country. So, it was really bad timing.

Ouch, I feel you on the moving part. Each time we moved we tapped out the savings and took about 12-18 months to get back to normal. It's not fun.

Well I had an interview yesterday and it couldn't have gone any better because I got an offer to start an electrical apprenticeship at the power plant. It won't start right away, the refurbishment project doesnt kick into high gear until the summer and there are a couple of security clearances I have to obtain before they'll let me set foot on the nuclear facility regardless. But now I can see the light at the end of the tunnel and I'm on my way out. Could not be more relieved!

Fantastic feeling, congrats to you!

Congrats indeed!

But I think you posted in the wrong thread. You sure you want to shove it?

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Congrats indeed!

But I think you posted in the wrong thread. You sure you want to shove it?
    Stay tuned. Once I actually start working at my new job, the posts will be appearing in that thread.