Page 13 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3111213141523 ... LastLast

Thread: Take This Job and Shove It

Ah... makes sense!

Nicely done.

Quote Originally Posted by shakes View Post
    Well I had an interview yesterday and it couldn't have gone any better because I got an offer to start an electrical apprenticeship at the power plant.
    Congrats, shakes!

Before today, shakes didn't even know what a nuclear paner-plant was!

So. I have a question regarding resignation/quitting. At the dealership, I'm really the only person who knows how to run the financial services office. No one else really wants to try and learn how to do what I do because its a) boring b) tedious and c) time consuming. Should I give my boss the heads up now so they can start looking for my replacement or should I just give them the three weeks that they request as per my employment agreement? My new job hasn't officially started and I don't know exactly when it will start. My concern is that I tell them that I'm leaving sometime within the next 3 to 6 months and they just say 'leave now'. I'd like to be able to buy Hondas from these guys in the future and want to leave things as amicable as I can. But at the same time, I don't want to be unemployed.

Do what your employment agreement says, that's the expectation set when you started. Deviating from it will leave one side or both upset.

I think it all depends on your 'relationship' with your boss.

Do you think your boss cares? Or cares about you in particular?

If you see yourselves as "friends", I think a heads up is in order. Just be frank that you'll be leaving soon, but not sure exactly when... so they can get the process going... and allow time for you to properly train the next guy before you go.

But if the relationship is purely 'professional', then yeah, do it per the agreement.

Request someone be properly cross-trained: you can mention that you have coverage concerns and don't feel comfortable planning a vacation with the financial services being exposed.
    If this was a trusted group at all levels of management you can give them 3-6 months notice.

I'm leaning towards option 1 at this point and just giving them the notice that's required as per my contract.

You can't go wrong doing that, IMO.