Page 16 of 46 FirstFirst ... 6141516171826 ... LastLast

Thread: Take This Job and Shove It

Quasi-related, but my school has been under a heightened security posture because of a credible threat; they've had to lockdown twice in the last two months or so. They have a St. Paul police officer stationed in the building at all times now. I only go up there a few weeks a year but have to go up the last full week of October. Fun.

Here's my current situation, I was laid off/fired this summer. The company I was working for had some financial problems and let several people go. As a 'bonus' it was done in the modern American corporate style -- two people from the main office showed up at our office (two by two hands of blue) followed by brief 'meeting' in the conference room, followed by 1 hour to clear our my desk and leave. "Thanks for your 8 years, don't let the door hit hit you on the ass on your way out.

I then took a couple months off. Recently I've been applying to positions in Wisconsin. Nothing yet, several phone conversations, including an hour long interview with the president of an agency in Milwaukee last week, but nothing solid yet. Regardless I'll be moving back to Wisconsin next month.
    Last edited by Denetti; October 26th, 2018 at 06:47 AM.

Blargh

Current American corporate culture is really fucked up. My company is actually part of the Dow Jones and when we were hit with rounds of layoffs... they were pretty demoralizing too. I think I was lucky to avoid being laid off because I was supporting a critical program.., but one of my close colleague, who actually got a MBA degree which was paid for by the company still ended up on the chopping block.

Now couple of years later, they’re saying they over chopped, we now have more work lined up than heads available to do the work...

Anyway, chin up, it’s for sure better to not work for that sorry ass company.

Sorry to hear that, Denetti.

That sucks, Dennis. Sorry. Hope you find something soon.

Administrator
    Man, even NewsCorp let me hang out until the end of the day. That sucks, I hope it ends up with you eventually finding something significantly better.

I had an interview last Tuesday for a position that is slightly better than the one I have now.

But, instead of working from home, I'd have to commute to the office, which is directly behind the Honda Center. Traffic could be an issue. But, it's a really nice office.

Which also means that I would have to get a car, insurance, etc...

It may have less vacation since I got a 3rd week after 5 years of service with my current employer.

It would probably have more 'regular' hours. I work early now so I can be online more when my Illinois colleagues are available.

Not sure that it's worth it... But, I'm really struggling with my current job. Getting fired and rehired at a rank two below or old position is a real drag.

Honda Center? Isn't there a Metrolink train stop right there? Bike to Tustin station, hop on with your bike and it's only two stops! You're there in a few minutes with no traffic. As someone who did that for three years, I can tell you taking the train is much less stressful and more economical than a car. Plus, if you use a computer for work, you can get work done on the train.

Yeah but what about the weather....oh, right. Carry on!