Page 19 of 42 FirstFirst ... 9171819202129 ... LastLast

Thread: Take This Job and Shove It

Do you really believe autonomous trucks will be able to take over your job?

Maybe in the future you could just sleep in the truck while it’s on the road, only when unforeseen situations pops up that baffles the AI then it wakes you up and ask you for help.

Why pay for a person, even if they are at half rate and sleeping - if the AI can do it all.

I can see an intermediate stage (possibly due to union/people pressure) where convoys of AI trucks are lead by a single truck with a human at the controls.
    Local delivery, well it will depend if you need a person to help unload. If delivering to a warehouse you probably dont need a driver to unload, but UPS to houses, you still need a person to walk the last yards and make a call on who/where to leave the parcel.

Medium term (10+ years) I can see a lot less driving jobs. Taxi drivers, Uber, long distance haul, company-company delivery - these could all be taken over by AI driving and it will be cheaper.
    I wouldnt be surprised if some bus systems also go this way. Here many routes dont accept cash, they are travel card only - combine that with some cameras to detect people who dont pay and I could see the drivers being removed.

Quote Originally Posted by Crazed_Insanity View Post
    Do you really believe autonomous trucks will be able to take over your job?

Maybe in the future you could just sleep in the truck while it’s on the road, only when unforeseen situations pops up that baffles the AI then it wakes you up and ask you for help.
    In the near future, no. I do more than drive the truck. When it comes to driving I feel that AI is a bad thing as there is just too much margin for error. That goes for both passenger vehicles and commercial vehicles.

Administrator
    That and AI is nowhere near as ready as the people who are trying to make money of it would have you believe.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    Uncertainty at the job I've been working at for the past 15-ish years....we just got bought out and gone private...lots of layoffs, and this week, the big manager who oversaw our whole department (technical support helpdesks) was let go. This was shocking to a lot of people as he was always very tough but fair and was one of the most stabilizing forces in our office.

I know a lot of people are updating their resumes and we're already understaffed as it is. While i could also look for another job, I'm VERY close to getting a new, MUCH improved version of my 3D printer to market and it won't need a kickstarter to get it done and start selling.

Relaxing and enjoying life MR2 Fan's Avatar
    A little bit more about my work environment....I work on a unique helpdesk. Without going into too many details, our hardware is the middle point of about 10 different credit card networks and about 10 different other manufacturers.

Learning enough of information to be GOOD at our job takes 6 to 9 months, but since we're just a helpdesk and the lowest on the totem pole of the company, the starting pay isn't very much, and we hire a lot of contractors, plus we have 3 outsourced helpdesks on top of it all.

Much of our helpdesk has been a revolving door for the past several years, as it's just too complex for people to want to do. So either we get people who are fine with lower pay, but aren't very experienced technically, or we get people who just use us temporarily until they find a job that pays them well enough for their skill set.

I'm paid pretty well since I've been here so long, but it really bothers me that if we just paid a more reasonable salary to everyone, we could actually find and KEEP higher quality people and we wouldn't have the constant carousel of people starting and quitting and having to start over with learning our complex environment.

I'm guessing other places are similar, but it doesn't make it any less irritating knowing that.

You get what you pay for...

You can’t blame your company for wanting to keep cost down.

I think my company is similar. Always try to nickel or dime a project to reduce cost... almost never have enough money to do things right the 1st time, but will always be able to find the money to do it again to fix what they screwed up 1st time around...

Considering our stocks are soaring high up at the moment, we won’t change our ways...

Even considering from a more personal level, I’m pretty cheap too... always comparison shop for the lowest prices too..., but again, we get what we pay for.

Just worry about doing our own job well for now. If one day we become the big huncho who can call the shots, then perhaps we can help companies make wiser decisions?

Tough when you can only really learn the job onsite, so starting pay is low. Then if people dont stay its a cycle of new, underpaid, underperforming people.
    At least they do pay more experienced people better.

Last edited by George; August 26th, 2019 at 08:06 AM.

How come a colleague has the authority to give you work all the time? And why are you the sole recipient to his orders?

If you're stuck with this guy and this mode of operation, maybe you should just go ask him and find out why he has to give out orders during off hours and then remind you during off hours. Hopefully there can be a change in behavior... or at least send reminders just to you rather than sending mass emails to everyone?

Direct approach probably works best. If that doesn't work, just have a chat with your boss. I'm sure he understands and probably find these mass emails annoying too.

Anyway, if your colleague refuse to change and your boss won't help you out and this is really annoying the crap out of you, perhaps you should eventually try to transfer to another department or company.

My personal career is kinda average so I'm not sure if you really should take my career advice..., this is just something I'd do if I were you.