Page 30 of 37 FirstFirst ... 202829303132 ... LastLast

Thread: Take This Job and Shove It

Administrator
    I'm surprised that the union is okay with that, but at least it's transparent. I think that's a big part of our problem here, that attempt to hide that that's what they're doing.

Yeah, transparency must be there. Naturally performance levels won’t be all equal with everyone. During company’s difficult times and if you are the relatively lower performer, you can’t blame the company for being let go…

Now if you believe you rank higher, naturally you can argue about that and prove your boss wrong during the year. This should be a good motivator to make workers work harder!

Anyway, sr management of your wife’s company sounds shady. Sorry to hear both you and your wife are encountering lousy bosses…

Administrator
    I actually think my current boss is good, for the most part. He's trying to change the company culture, but he's like one tugboat trying to push the Ever Given when it's jammed in the Suez.

I guess I meant the big boss.

Personally, I liked most of my leads or engineering management 1 or 2 levels up. However, higher levels up near the top tend not to understand what’s it like living in the real world.

Administrator
    Gotcha. Part of the fun of my situation now is that my current boss is apparently fighting to get me a promotion, and I have tremendous guilt that I will likely be jumping ship as soon as I can. I really like the guy, but it's a losing battle.

To cut a long story short, my wife has grown disillusioned with academia. She's looking at corporate gigs with a focus on mitigating climate issues. We have been talking about leaving here for what seems like years now. We are at the point where she is actively starting a search for a new gig. Could be anywhere, really, but remaining in the US would be the most viable at the moment. Eventually, we would like to move back to Canada, but it has to be a pretty good offer for that to happen. The timeline is looking like it could be less than a year out. I may be contacting individuals here for boots-on-the-ground reconnaissance of particular cities we may be considering. It just depends on what offers are out there at the moment. She was looking at real estate in Denver last night.

It is sad that My Garage™ will most likely have to come to an end, at least in its current form. It really depends on where we go and what kind of living arrangements we can get. I would most likely attempt to find a new, art-related gig in our new town.

It is frustrating that my wife is really effing awesome at what she does, yet she still has impostor syndrome about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    It is frustrating that my wife is really effing awesome at what she does, yet she still has impostor syndrome about it.
    Academia!
    Seriously, the only people I know in academia who don't have/talk about having imposter syndrome are sociopathic jerks (or the occasional completely deranged non-functional genius). Sometimes it seems like an entire industry devoted to the manufacture of anxiety and depression with a side effect of some knowledge generation.

Anyway, best of luck in her search and getting the garage off the ground again.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Yeah. One of my better friends doesn't have IS, but he falls in a line between the two groups described by Josh. He is also not considered an academic by his peers.

Tell Lori to keep her head up, that nerds are terrible, backstabbing competitors and that it is totally not her fault. And that she will find balance in her pro life.

We are all rooting for her!
    acket.

Good luck Cam!

I guess whether it's academia or corporateria, it'll be easy to get disillusioned either way if you're stuck at the wrong organization or with a lousy boss... hope she finds what she's looking for and with an awesome boss too!

Administrator
    The only person I know in academia is my sister - I wouldn't call her a sociopath but I'm the one of the two of us with impostor syndrome.

It's pretty clear Lori's great at what she does, and I also know that that means fleeting bursts of knowing you're good at what you're doing surrounded by long stretches of not knowing that. The good news is the rest of the world doesn't see that, they just see how good she is, so I've no doubt you two will find yourselves in an even better situation than you're in now.