Page 5 of 42 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: Take This Job and Shove It

shakes, how long are the apprenticeships?

9000hrs or approximately 5 years. You start at 40% of what a licensed journeyman makes and it goes up by 10% every 1800hrs you work until the 5th year when you're at 80%. After that you can write your exam and get your license.

Cam, I hear you on the consistency thing. Its either feast or famine in this business.
    Last edited by shakes; March 9th, 2017 at 08:31 AM.

Thanks for the info.
    When I saw "temporary pay cut" I figured temporary wasn't going to be the same multi-year ordeal that I came across (the fuck didn't I seriously look into it 20 years ago ).

I work with an old duffer in IT who is a part of our lunch group. He said he was a plumber back in the late '70s/early '80s. Said he switched careers in the '80s due to the number of other plumbers who blew their backs out working (slipped/torn discs, I imagine). Look into that first.

I have a few builder mates who have had shoulder reconstructions.
    It can be hard on the body, probably a bit better these days.
    But it's still real physical work.
    Not for the dainty finger brigade (me!)

FedGov. *sigh*

Been waiting on a headset so I can do my conference calls without blasting everyone on the floor with it. Four months later it arrives. It's a USB headset. Our Cisco phones do not have USB ports. Our Jabber configuration does not support making phone calls from the PC.

Now I'm going to buy my own headset so I can actually perform my mission. YOU'RE WELCOME TAXPAYERS.

thank you for your consideration (i nearly got in trouble for bringing my own wireless mouse at a private company)

novi, the plumber idea is gone, at this point I'm all but guaranteed to destroy my lower back.

It's actually a zero sum situation for the taxpayer because I now have a useless headset for my PC in my desk, but you didn't have to fork over a proper phone headset.

And yeah, at my old fed job they took away my wireless headset but were kind enough to replace it with a proper wired one. Should have kept it.

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    It's actually a zero sum situation for the taxpayer because I now have a useless headset for my PC in my desk
    Sell it on craigslist.

Quote Originally Posted by balki
    (i nearly got in trouble for bringing my own wireless mouse at a private company)
    I've been wondering if anyone would notice a gaming mouse on my desk.