Page 9 of 42 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: Take This Job and Shove It

Quote Originally Posted by dodint View Post
    The problem to me is that when I think of Process ______ I think of manufacturing. If you don't see that as a barrier I would find a way to work it in.
    Good point. My manufacturing experiences is so low as to not be worth discussing.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Sorry to hear, Kch. I'm sure someone with your experience will find something soon. Just be open to moving to a new town.

I worked at a company that offered periodic Excel training. Someone from an outside company would come in and do the training and testing.

Maybe you could be a corporate Excel teacher/trainer. Or the guy who writes the training material and the tests.

I can't remember all the different times I've gone to my boss and/or group of co-workers and given YOUR answer (from the Excel threads here and at previous GT forums) as my own.

"Hey everyone, I figured it out!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kchrpm View Post
    Getting laid off in a couple weeks.

But what is that? What does that mean? What's the job title for "guy that figures out everything that is right and everything that is wrong with your concept and helps you down the path to production using Excel and many many hours"?

Process Consultant?
    Sorry to hear dude.

Anyway, just remember that you're a corvette enthusiast first... and a 'problem solver' second. (Excel is just a tool, its the user that counts!)

Seriously, a problem solver is in high demand in any field. If you can explain to your future employer how you can solve their problems, there's no way they won't hire you.

Get away from referring to Excel and think in terms of data. It seems to me that you should be thinking in the data analysis space which is something in huge demand atm

Agreed. Excel is your tool that helps you assess and extrapolate. It isn't who you are.

The problem with going for data analysis purely is that they want years of experience with specific software/language that they use, many of which I'd never heard of or seen outside of job listings.

And moving sucks.

Perhaps take this opportunity and the downtime that comes with it to learn some of that stuff. We've talked before and I know you're not real big into certification and whatnot. Maybe it's less helpful in your career field but each of my new jobs/promotions can be directly attributed to certifying my skillset. It's just a piece of paper but HR eats them up, gets you to the interview.

Damn, sorry to read this Kch -- you ARE a talent tho' so I'm sure you'll stick the landing and make a whole lot more than you were!

I may end up taking ____ 101 classes I can find online just so I can say I have some minimal experience with stuff. I don't have access to any of the software, though, so it'd be all theoretical experience.