Page 22 of 43 FirstFirst ... 12202122232432 ... LastLast

Thread: Take This Job And Love It

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Is this thread now like the work-window thing from way back?
    acket.

I don’t see how a dog’s lipstick pic is it the same category (let alone worse) than a wet Willy.
    One is mildly inappropriate, the other involves swabbing a bodily fluid in someone else’s orifice.
    I can’t imagine going to HR for any animal pics, but even my best friend is liable to catch an elbow, jab or cross for sticking their spit-covered finger in my ear.

Administrator
    It's been a really shit last 8 days for me - a funeral, my father hospitalized (he's out and doing better), and a crisis at work that lead to a lot of long days during this.

Over the past few days of the crisis I've been working on a program to process a ton of files from S3, massage that data, and get it loaded into SQS to eventually be pulled into DynamoDB. I haven't done a lot of multithreaded coding, but today my app managed to hold together while running 2,400 concurrent goroutines (read: threads) and processed a few hundred million records, at times reaching 140k records/second. It's been a shitty week, but it's really cool to see your code absolutely smash through a ton of data and fix a problem that looked like it'd take weeks to fix in a matter of minutes.

That dopamine rush has lessened over the years, but it's still there when you can tell the stakeholders that that thing that was going to take weeks to solve just got knocked out in < 45 min.

That is the exact opposite of what I do. Sounds like fun.

I have someone coming to inspect some of my assets today. As a compliance officer this is kind of my super bowl. Except, yeah, it's even more boring than the actual super bowl.

And, I failed. Yayyyyyy. No because of anything I did, but, still. Blah.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Dude! It almost feel bad to come to gloat.

Almost.

Just gave a presentation on my research project. Aced it!

Spoiler:
    Nailed it, actually. Still, it feels like a win.
    acket.

It has been tough to keep going sometimes, but my “job” may finally be starting to pay off. It has been over two years since I started. I had many minor successes along the way. I never felt like I made it until the last several weeks. I had a few clients purchase and commission several pieces. If I can continue my current momentum, I will actually be able to make a living at this.

(I am intentionally vague to remain somewhat anonymous.)

Nice one! I love your insta stuff

Administrator
    Awesome!