Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Take This Job And Love It

Understand what’s important to you.
    Check that against the offer.
    Make decision

To often people do the third step before the first

That said, fuck it, go for it..

Another approach is to expect the worst possible scenario.

What's the worst that can happen? Can you prepare yourself for that?

IMOA is right that you need to take an inventory of what's important to you and your family. Your own career actually isn't the #1 priority... this job could fail, but surely you don't want to fail the family.

Don't make an emotional decision. Don't just accept it because you're excited or don't refuse it just because you're scared. Take your time to think it thru... may the force be with you.

That sounds like a cool opportunity, tigeraid, and I think you would do it well. Best of luck in what you decide.

Back in December I got a bug up my ass and decided to test the waters for other jobs. I applied for three different companies(two delivering roll-off dumpsters, the other driving a semi that would've had me in Chicago on a daily basis). One called to set up an interview on my day off and on the day of the interview a driver called off so I got called into work, I called the other company to let them know I had to cancel and they said someone would call to reschedule the interview(which never happened). A recruiter for the Chicago job called to schedule an interview and since I don't get my schedule for the following week until Saturday it is hard to know what day I'd have off. So around Xmas she said she'd call on a Saturday to set up an interview the following week. That call never came. Two weeks later the recruiter calls and apologizes for never calling me back. This time she said she'd call me on a Sunday to schedule the interview...and that call never came. Flash forward to now and the bug is no longer up my ass, but you'd think that they'd at least follow through on the call. Blech.

Sounds like you would not want to work for that company anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by IMOA View Post
    Understand what’s important to you.
    Check that against the offer.
    Make decision

To often people do the third step before the first

That said, fuck it, go for it..
    This is so fucking accurate.

Thanks, gents.

When I was trying to get out of the mortgage business into the car business I made a pretty crazy move for work. I interviewed for a job I'd never done before but had the skills to do. The move wasn't quite as far as yours, going from Hamilton, ON to Huntsville, ON but it was far enough (about 300kms). I interviewed twice at the dealership, the second interview was on a Wednesday. The next day, I got the offer. We went up the following Sunday to look at apartments knowing that we were going to have to sign a lease that day. We booked a bunch of showings with the intention of picking one right then and there. The following weekend was when we moved. Ten days from start to finish. We were just starting out so we didnt have a lot of stuff to move and no children to consider either so it wasn't too bad. But its not something I think I'd put myself through again. You don't need the stress of moving on top of the stress of a new job.

While the bigger pay cheque and greater responsibilities that come with a management role are nice, they do come at a cost. If you're okay taking on all of those extra tasks, then take the new job. You'll figure out the ins-and-outs of the day to day stuff easy enough. Don't worry about whether or not you feel qualified to do the job, if you weren't, they wouldn't be offering it to you. Its the extra management functions that you have to consider (e.g. dealing with an under-performing employee, or an angry customer or customers who don't pay their bills) plus you've mentioned the sales quota/sales target aspect of the job as well.

On the OTHER other hand... Real estate in Huntsville and Bracebridge is a bit heavier than here. Which is confusing. Maybe cottage country jacks up the prices. Tara is refusing to settle for a shit house... :/

Why should anyone settle for a shit house after a promotion?