Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The GTXForums Comics Thread

The GTXForums Comics Thread

Carried over from the old digs...

Yeesh, I forgot all about this thread I started! lol...

Anyway, Afterlife With Archie is currently one of the best comics going! Man is this book fun!

I also recently acquired the following:

The Sixth Gun Vol 1 OSHC - Oh my god is this book nice! Bigger than a Hellboy LE (which I now have all of and think they are great) and really well put-together.

The Amazing Spiderman Vol 1 Marvel omnibus - a huge book collecting the first 40 or so issues of Amazing Spider-Man. I'm really enjoying the trip back to the original stories. I'm now looking at getting the two original Fantastic Four Omni's.

'Tain't The Meat, It's The Humanity - a collection of Jack Davis' EC comics horror tales. Great stuff...

Along with Afterlife With Archie, I'm also following Hellboy In Hell, Black Science, and Sledgehammer '44.

yeah, I'm a comic geek now.

...Oh, and since I last visited this thread I've completely ditched the Walking Dead. Sold all 7 volumes of the hardcover collections. I got really sick of the outrageous violence/gore and utter humorlessness of the story. I also grew to really hate Kirkman's dialogue. Not a fan...

I haven't been a Marvel Comics geek in a few years now...been slowly phasing it out of my life due to crummy writing, my favourite writers being pink-slipped, and mischaracterizations of my favourite characters.

Recently I read that a few of my favourites will be returning - Jim Starlin, Dan Abnett and Andy Lanning (known together as DnA) are due to return to Marvel this year, to work on 'Infinity Revelations' and 'Guardians of the Galaxy'. I'm actually excited, and may pick up the hobby again at some point this year.

Man, I used to love Starlin. I haven't read him in ages, but I think of him now and again because if I'm going out and my hood is up, in my currently beardy state I look a little like Vanth Dreadstar.

I'm a little afraid of going back to his stuff though, since -1- I'm not in puberty any more and the space opera and melodrama might be too much, and -2- I fear time has not been kind to his overly dramatically posed drawings.

I remember getting a package of comics from a danish comic book shop, it contained a couple of issues of Starlin's Warlock reprints and a couple of issues of Frank Miller's Ronin, and a classmate remarked how he didn't like Miller's art, while Stalin's on the other hand was quality stuff.Heh.

Concerning current affairs, I am woefully out of the loop. Except for the ugly state of affairs between Alan Moore and Grant Morrison, two of my very favourite writers in any medium. That just saddens me.
    Last edited by Fiat500; January 21st, 2014 at 06:08 PM.

Wanna Fight?
    "Masturbating on my doorstep"

Yeah Starlin is great. I was a late bloomer to comics, so I really liked his early 90's Marvel work. Haven't read any of his DC or independent stuff. Been meaning to read Breed 1 and 2, (which I have but haven't read), and I hear there's a third one in the works, or has been released already.

I don't know how much he has left in the tank at his age, but I'm just happy to see him back at Marvel...even if it's only for a one-shot graphic novel. He and Marvel parted ways almost 10 years ago in a very bad way, and he vowed to never work for 'corporate comics' again, (though he did have a couple of stints at DC in the last 10 years). He was bitter about it for years. Basically he had major a difference of opinion with his editor at the time, (Tom Brevoort), regarding the usage of Adam Warlock in his book, and was told to go fuck himself if he didn't like it. So he quit. Glad they mended fences.

I read some of his older stuff - Warlock, Captain Marvel, etc., and it's all top quality material. His 'Death of Captain Marvel' was written so well and personally, that it really resonated with people dealing with death in their own lives. I read an interview with Starlin where he said he was working through his own father's death at the time, and writing that story really helped.

He's basically the go-to guy when it comes to killing off characters, because he's so good at writing meaningful death stories in comics. Not like the shit you see today where characters are killed off erroneously and resurrected without second thought or explanation.
    Last edited by sandydandy; January 24th, 2014 at 06:54 PM.

Well, it became fashionable and over the top after The Death of Captain Marvel (I think) as well, and I remember seeing a cartoon (by Kyle Baker) in Marvel's magazine about Marvel (don't remember what it was called) - Scott Summers answering the door at the X-mansion: "Kitty Pryde? She's dead, come back next week".

So it is not entirely new.

Starlin was hired in to do the death of then Robin Jason Todd in the Batman books also iIrc, although whether he lived or died was decided by voting among readers. Jason Todd has since been resurrected, of course.

Since Bucky was resurrected, I guess anything goes though.

Meanwhile, here's one for Matt, if he even reads this thread:

Background

It's gotten worse now. Writers don't even bother to explain how/why a character came back to life. Recent deaths I'm talking about, not a character that's been gone for 20 or 30 years...that's usually accompanied by a decent story. But for recent resurrections their only explanation seems to be, "he's back, and that's all that matters"...screw attempting to adhere to any sense of continuity, it's too much of a pain. These days they love to sing the mantra, "continuity is a good servant, but bad master", so they just ignore it.

Death in comics is a one giggle joke these days. Cheap and meaningless.

Outside of my usual "capes & costumes" purchases I picked this up yesterday: http://www.darkhorse.com/Comics/23-6...s-Santos-cover

It picks up not long after the movie ends. So far it's just setting things up, but given that it's written by Joss Whedon's brother it's pretty sure to go all the places one would expect.

I snagged Black Science #3 and Sledgehammer #3 yesterday. Good stuff!

Also ordered a couple books from amazon. Incoming are the following:

I found a copy of the first volume of Essential Tomb of Dracula at the local shop here for ten bucks and having heard that the series was pretty good stuff I grabbed it. Turns out it IS really good (70s Blade FTMFW!) stuff so I decided to grab the 3rd volume of the color collection. The Sgt Fury book was mostly just to get over the $25 line for free shipping, but I'm looking forward to it still.
    Last edited by Zevious Zoquis; January 31st, 2014 at 04:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sandydandy View Post
    It's gotten worse now. Writers don't even bother to explain how/why a character came back to life. Recent deaths I'm talking about, not a character that's been gone for 20 or 30 years...that's usually accompanied by a decent story. But for recent resurrections their only explanation seems to be, "he's back, and that's all that matters"...screw attempting to adhere to any sense of continuity, it's too much of a pain. These days they love to sing the mantra, "continuity is a good servant, but bad master", so they just ignore it.

Death in comics is a one giggle joke these days. Cheap and meaningless.
    One of the things I really appreciated about Marvel's Ultimate line... people generally stay dead. Though, I haven't read since
    Spoiler:
    the death of Peter Parker
    , so maybe things have changed.