Page 32 of 43 FirstFirst ... 22303132333442 ... LastLast

Thread: Take This Job And Love It

Congrats guys.

I was only scheduled to work four days this week. On Tuesday a driver did a no call/no show so I got called in. When I finished my route on Friday and I had 65 hrs for the week and I was ready for a Saturday and Sunday off. Yesterday morning I was at the grocery store getting a cup of coffee and walking slowly through the store as I enjoyed my coffee and the peace and quiet I got a text from my boss asking a favor but also adding "You're under no obligation to do this!" It involved running up to Milwaukee, WI(380 mi. round trip) on Sunday(today) to pick up two pallets of lettuce mix that whomever placed our order forgot to order what I had to pickup. This was an important thing t have as a customer with four locations uses quite a bit of the salad mix and if they(my employer(not using the royal we)) keeps screwing the pooch with this customer and other customers things will continue to nosedive. By the time I got back, unloaded the truck, did paperwork and punched out I had 75+ hrs for the week. I've been back for almost five months and keep getting a sour taste in my mouth. I filled out a bunch of applications yesterday and time will only tell what will come of them.

Dude. You just need to learn to say no. Sorry boss, got a hot date planned...

Also, it seems like you know the ins and outs of that place... if you really want to help your boss out, help him prevent these fires from happening in the 1st place rather than continue to play the fire fighter role. Ain't nothing wrong with fighting fires occasionally, but it shouldn't be your job continuously. Enough should be enough. If you can't say no to the boss, then at least just don't respond to the text during your off hours.

Anyway, hope your boss improves or hope you find a better boss.

I hope you're getting overtime pay, me bruv. Your job sounds all-consuming, but at least you're up-to-date on all the podcasts you listen to.

Yes there is OT, bruv, but at an odd rate of time and a quarter after 45 hrs.

"Only" worked 61 hrs. this week. Three "in-person" interviews scheduled for the next week(after over the phone interviews on Thurs.). None are food service(which I am currently doing), one is line-haul in a semi(which I haven't driven since '02), one is driving for a document shredder(which means passing background checks) and one is general freight). The one that intrigues me the most is the shredder job with a set schedule and the option of OT.
    On Thursday I had a phone convo with my boss and gave him a "head's up" on what's going on with ALL of the drivers(& not just me). Burn out is a MF and how it gets handled is dependent upon the individual. This next week will be interesting.

I don't love my job. Just over a year ago I was promoted into a position that pays well but has no mission of importance. It's on a virtual team of three so there isn't much interaction with other folks either. I was okay with that when I took the promotion because I thought I would be doing more legal work on the side, but that hasn't really played out the way I envisioned.

The upside is that FedGov found out during COVID that a lot of my kind of work (cyber security, specifically policy/accreditation) can be done virtually. So there are a plethora of full-time remote job vacancies being announced all over the government. I'm going to ride this out until next summer and then start floating resumes, I think. It's daunting reading some of these position descriptions, though. I feel like my skills have eroded to the point that I should be looking at demotions or laterals. But, you know, promote to your level of incompetence, etc.

Two weeks into the new job and things are going quite nicely. The first month was supposed to be spent riding with other drivers learning the product, company procedures and getting reacquainted with driving a semi. On Weds. I ran my first solo route with them(had a choice between a Transit, straight truck or semi for the small load(I choose straight truck)). After a run with a veteran driver(been with the company 40 yrs) into Ohio and southeastern Indiana(got as close as an hour way from Cincy) I got offered a run to a stop in Ohio. One stop, 3/4 full trailer. The customer unloads, checks it in and sends me on my way and I drive back to the depot. All in all this week came off without a hitch.
    The only interesting thing about the week was a delivery on Tuesday where a customer ordered 60 jugs of fryer oil and that got delivered into their basement. The guy I was riding with took 7 jugs on his cart at one time and I took 5. I watched him go down with a bit of hesitation. Then it was my turn. Even though the hand carts have brakes(a totally foreign concept to me prior to starting this job) gravity and momentum will always win. With the brakes fully applied and leaning way back keeping the cart in check, about half way down the cart decided it wanted to go faster, so it did. I let go of it and it finished sliding down the steps and the jugs of fryer oil fell off of it but didn't break open. Phew.
    After that I decided to carry the jugs down two at a time, that worked one time. After that it was carry one jug while hanging onto the railing. We got the job done with no broken drivers or jugs of fryer oil and got rewarded for our efforts with an egg salad sandwich and a fountain drink. That was the best tasting egg salad I had in a long time.
    The next phase is to spend 1-2 more weeks with another driver, but with me as the main driver handling paper work, checking orders and driving while the other guy is my emotional support human and fountain of knowledge. So far I've ridden with four different drivers and there isn't an asshole in the bunch.

Sounding good pimpster!
    Get that weak shit off my track

Oh com’on, how can they poop without assholes?!?!?

Anyway, glad to hear the new gig seems w/o better working out!