Page 31 of 43 FirstFirst ... 21293031323341 ... LastLast

Thread: Take This Job And Love It

Not doing that anymore. They showed a guy the door without showing him the door, so back to driving all week.
    The guy that left was only working three days a week. There is another driver who only works four days a week because of the OT pay policy( 1.25 time after 45 hrs instead of the normal 1.5 after 40. Truck driving is "exempt" from OT pay guidelines, so this was their compromise. I've been there almost eight years and it has been that way since way before I started there). So that guy is doing the routes normally ran by the guy who just left. Whatevs.

After some rushed scheduling, I've finally got my summer excavations in the Big Bend worked out - Back out to this place for about a month, starting next sunday
    20200708_091420.jpg
    20200710_210959.jpg
    20200712_145131.jpg
    Home for about 10 days, then back down to this place for another month
    20200617_065821.jpg
    20210604_115510.jpg
    20210604_115501.jpg
    Sadly, I don't think the site infant will be back this year-
    20210620_100442.jpg
    -Formerly Stabulator

Administrator
    I'm a little over a month in at the new gig. So far, it's mostly been a crash course in Elixir and their way of doing things, but now I'm running into the point where I'd really like to start contributing more and it feels like there aren't good tasks for someone just looking to get into the codebase. I paired with another engineer and what she was working on seemed completely doable despite my lack of experience with Elixir or GraphQL.

Not totally sold on Elixir yet. It's very Ruby-like, and pretty fast, but I find it comes with the same drawbacks that Ruby & Python come with while being a little bit slower than Go (running the same task single-core takes about 1.5x the time on Elixir, so definitely outperforms Ruby and Python and has the advantage that it can actually use multiple cores). I think most of the things I think of as drawbacks others see as benefits, so trying to take that into account. Still...types, people. Types are key. There's a reason that Python, TypeScript, and Elixir all have pseudo-support for them, just imagine how good it is when that support is actually enforced by the compiler!

Also, I found out that there are four teams that would like to have me and I may be changing soon anyway, so it definitely is leaving me feeling a little in the lurch on what to focus on. That said, at least they're paying me while they're figuring this out. No plans to fly out to Miami yet, but we'll see what the future holds.

Get that weak shit off my track

Got home from the desert a while back. For all the overwork, heat, isolation, problems to solve, and dehydration, archaeology is the funnest and coolest job there is.
    It was a fun and productive summer - On the 1st ranch we worked at, we located a new site based purely on some landscape analysis I did over the winter, and then we got to some extremely cool (and previously completely unknown) shit at the rock shelter site we've been excavating since 2019.
    Even though I had the heart attack last year, I survived and even thrived - I was in better shape with more stamina than previous years and I though I watched my blood pressure daily it never got above 120/72.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Sweet moves!

That's awesome Josh!

My division was asked to come in to the office Friday, and I was asked to host lunchtime trivia. I grabbed some questions from previous shows, came up with a format, and then used some questions about the company provided by the activities team.

As I'm bellowing out to the division at lunch, a man that looks familiar walks up and asks me about the questions. We talk for a little bit and then he walks away as I continue.

I turn to the activities team standing next to me and ask "Who was that I was talking to?"

"Tim Spence. The CEO." That's what I thought but I didn't want to consciously confirm it while doing something else.

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Schweet! (on both counts, guys).
    acket.

Good stuff, Josh and Keith!