Page 23 of 43 FirstFirst ... 13212223242533 ... LastLast

Thread: Take This Job And Love It

At the end of last year, both of the trivia shows that I hosted were cancelled, I found out later because the pub was being sold. They had never had strong regular attendance, usually around 5-15 people. They had been going since the summer and I wasn't sure if I wanted to continue hosting regularly. Low attendance at shows didn't really affect me monetarily, I get paid the same regardless, but it could be disheartening.

Fast forward to now. The pub's new owners are great: they're not just invested financially, they're at the local regularly and just last night they were seating tables. They have regular customers from their other restaurant and businesses that they brought over, and I was just told that trivia night is their most consistently successful night. They finally posted Facebook events a few weeks ago, and we've seen an uptick of new teams, going from around 20 players consistently to 30.

Also, I took over another location for my second weekly show in May, and after maybe a month the attendance had grown so much that they moved it from the bar area to the huge open area, basically making trivia the star attraction of the night. It's now 40+ people every week, and on monthly theme nights can get over 100 (for The Office it was 400-500!).

I'm now over 150 shows hosted, using a sound system with silly lights that I got at Best Buy and the cheapest microphone they sold at Sam Ash (which died around show #140, and was replaced with another el cheapo), and I'm really glad I stuck with it.

Nice, man!

Cool man! Sounds so fun too!

Can you do a trivia show here for us? (Of course participants will have to promise to not google for answers! )

Ask me about my bottom br FaultyMario's Avatar
    Hey, good to hear!
    acket.

Administrator
    The job's mostly just okay, but the view doesn't suck.

Wow Tom that certainly beats my view over the work car park!

Started a new job within the same company about 8 weeks ago. Rather different to what I was doing before. Previously it was dealing with home customers Broadband and Sky TV Issues. Last year we started branching out into Business Broadband leased lines (Broadband connections, usually over Fibre, exclusively for companies use, with options from 50MB right up to 1 GB symmetrical) and as we use several business partners we never speak to the end user.

It's MAGICAL.

On a normal day we'd have back to back calls, usually around 30 a day with moans, complaints, demands for compensation for minor issues etc. This place? I waited over an hour for a call on Tuesday. Sure there's other work to be done as most of the comms are done via email, but considering it's Monday to Friday, 8:30-5 with an hour lunch (previously 30 mins) compared to Tuesday to Saturday with a late night on Thursday I'm in heaven. Small wage bump (actually the highest in my team as it happens, although only by around £400 a year) but we have such a good laugh as well and can chat and talk to each other and we had music on most days as well! Loving it and there's a major expansion planned next year too so things might be looking up!

If we are doing work photos...
    IMG_4654.jpg
    IMG_5755.JPG

-Formerly Stabulator

What lousy views!

I love my cubicle walls and LED screens!

Next year, so looking fwd to our new downsized cubicles. I guess I’m so lucky to not be down sized myself yet...

Every week we have a safety meeting and a bulletin from upper management. One of the headings in this week's bulletin was a request specifically asking employees not to take pictures of, or selfies with the uranium fuel bundles that are currently being staged to go into one of the reactors. I definitely get to see some cool stuff working in a nuclear facility but sadly I'd probably get in a fair deal of trouble if I ever posted anything to social media.