Page 3 of 43 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: Take This Job And Love It

First weekend in the field just finished - Prepping for the fieldschool for 7 undergrads.
    weatherport1.jpg
    I'm holding the ladder in the lime sherbet-colored shirt.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Slowly tiring of constant 50+ hour weeks. The overtime may pay more but i dont feel any benefit to it.

My boss is rumored to be transfering in a couple months. Our lead cant put together a schedule without requirig multiple revisions. Senior management is currently offering a company cook out if we manage an impossible goal.

We have hired two new drivers in the past month. The newest one has been there for two weeks. He called off yesterday because he hurt himself during his route on Friday. So they called me to cover that route and tried contacting the other new guy(who had the day off but was on call) to come in and cover my original route. But they couldn't get a hold of him and when they did contact him he said he was in Fort Wayne(90 miles away) and then said that he had to take his wife to work. I wonder if he finally settled on an excuse. I was walking out to the truck I was supposed to drive and it was missing!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Another driver had taken it(the trucks were similar in their numbering and it was the other driver's normal truck). I went in and informed the boss about the situation. His only comment was "God damn it! What else is going to go wrong?"
    I jumped in the other truck and took it to where the other driver/truck were and swapped them out. So what should've been a six hour day on my original route turned into a fourteen hour, near 400 mile odyssey.
    When I finally made it back to work the skies opened up and it started pouring down. I made it over to my regular truck and grabbed my rain jacket(Frog Togs FTMFW) and maanaged to only get soaked from the waist down.
    Things went so comically bad that the terms "Monkey Fucking A Football" and "Cluster Fuck" couldn't be applied. So I settled on "Chihuahua Fucking A Great Dane".
    I was so happy when the day was finally over. Heh.

Why did you have to swap trucks? Couldn't you just trade for the day?

Oh wait, were they already loaded?

Yes they were already loaded. Today I was given a $20 gift card for swapping routes when they needed it. That's the third or fourth one I've gotten this year.

Nice that they recognize your help with more than just a "Thanks"

Another week another $20 gift card for taking another route on a Saturday. This time because the driver had poison ivy. At the end of the day the receptionist had to drive to Coldwater, MI(130 mile round trip) with a credit card so that a driver could get fuel. The driver has been with us for three weeks and they still hadn't gotten him a fuel card. And because the receptionist had gone way above the call of her duties she was rewarded with jack shit. Not even sure if they gave her gas money. Biggest benefit of this is I was able to get 10# each of chicken breast and ground chuck for $15.

I used to like getting OT and additional mileage checks... But, nowadays I enjoy my free-time more. #old

I volunteered for a trip to Cincy next week. Not sure what's wrong with me. :\

Administrator
    Had two first-round interviews last week, have a second phone interview with one place this morning and an in-person with the other tomorrow. The two places are a block from each other and both in downtown Santa Monica, so the commute would be fantastic. The two jobs are also using languages and/or environments I don't know (Node.js and Scala at one, Go at the other), so that'd make for an interesting challenge.

The Go one would also involve twice yearly trips to Tel Aviv. Can't tell if that's awesome or annoying...I have a feeling the first couple of trips would be awesome, then it'd get old to have to leave home for a week.