Page 43 of 43 FirstFirst ... 33414243

Thread: Take This Job And Love It

Ashie got to work with cadavers in PT school. She found it fascinating.

Quote Originally Posted by Cam View Post
    I'm starting a job on Monday as a studio assistant for a successful local artist. Their preferred medium is glass/neon. Should be interesting.
    How'd that go?

It is very interesting and it is going well so far. I rode the metro in the first day. Didn't know how long it would take me. The Goog estimated 1h 10min. I left early, in case of unforeseen circumstances. It only took me 50min, so I was about 40 minutes early. The boss, Craig, wasn't even there. He lives above the studio, but he was out getting groceries. I didn't have to wait too long though before he arrived. I went to work straight away working on a prototype for a sculpture. At the end of the day, Craig said, "I think that was a successful first day."

Second day, yesterday, I rode my motorbike in. It took me 15-20 minutes. He has a little space out back that I can *just* sneak the bike in, so I don't have to park on the street. It's a bit of a rough neighbourhood. He asked if I was comfortable driving. "Sure, as long as you navigate." He had me drive us to a site to fit a sign for a restaurant under construction. The sign is already made and sitting in the studio. We could not do much, because the location had to approved by the higher-ups. We basically taped the paper template to the wall and left. Just as we were approaching the studio, he complimented my driving. I worked a bit more on the prototype. It is more complicated than Craig anticipated. Coming up with a concept is one thing. Actually creating it is another.

Today, I took the metro in again. I don't mind it at all. I get a few miles of brisk walking for some exercise, and it is relaxing taking the train. Driving around here is often stressful. I was punctual this time. We continued to work on the prototype and attempted to bend some glass for it. Craig feels like he is too old now to do a lot of the stuff he used to. He is not really interested in bending glass tubes anymore. He has a gal come in to make the tubes for him these days. He did show me how. I even tried several bends. It is quite difficult to get right. Near the end of the day, he said he was exhausted. He had enough energy to pump his fists in the air and say, "You did great! I mean it!" I tidied up the shop and came home.

He has been complimentary about a lot of the things I've been doing. Honesty, I think he is overall impressed and happy to have me around. To answer your question, it is going very well.

That's awesome, man.
    -Formerly Stabulator

Awesome Cam, glad to hear it. Sounds like you found a good outlet for your artistic energy.

I agree that the traffic in the DC area seems stressful, I'm glad the metro is a good alternative for you, and that the job itself seems well suited to you.
    Get that weak shit off my track

Long story short, the boss really likes having me around, so he gave me a 20% pay raise.

Administrator
    Fuck yeah

I really think you should try take over the store!

If you really want to of course. Otherwise 20% raise is certainly pretty awesome! I don’t recall ever having a 20% raise in my life!!!!

Nice 👍